The Sewing Place

McCall's Spring patterns

DementedFairy

Re: McCall's Spring patterns
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 15:54:33 PM »
Nothing there for me, but then, I'm all about Vogue and Style Arc, with my architectural body and all that.  This sort of architecture of course

or maybe this
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 16:03:02 PM »
Is architectural not the right term? I always thought the shirt type garments with lots of panels and angles could be described as "architectural". Style Arc is very similar in that vein too.

Like this coat: https://www.stylearc.com/shop/sewing-patterns/lux-coat/

"This modern sophisticated on trend coat is clever in its simplicity, straight architectural lines give this coat an edge that differs from the usual."

DementedFairy

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 16:05:38 PM »
lol no it's fine I was just being...lumpy and wonky lol
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 16:14:57 PM »
Maybe the Nancy Zieman shirt but everything else is way too frilly for my taste.

McCalls used to do really nice jacket patterns and thankfully I still have some of these. I too prefer Vogue and the Tilton patterns from Butterick though some of the tops and shirts don't look very different from each other.

I have a little pile of Stylearc patterns to try but have yet to get to them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 16:19:18 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

mudcat

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 00:03:36 AM »
Not much of interest in that in that collection for me either. In fact the only designer I found that I consistently liked was Nicole Miller and even then only about half the offerings.  I like the Tilton and other Vogue designer patterns but then I'm in the target age group. Unfortunately, more and more I'm realizing the styles I like mostly don't work for me as a short small boned person with a bit of upper body padding.

And the cold shoulder look is way past it's expiration date in my view.  ><

jen

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 06:36:56 AM »
I can see you in the wrap dress Fran, too young for me but very pretty and wearable.

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »
Let's put these patterns in perspective: there are only 27 new releases, 21 of which are for adult women.  There is nothing much for me and I'm fine with that.  If the pattern companies only catered to my tastes, then the majority of you would have nothing to sew. 0_0

mudcat

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 11:04:05 AM »
You make a point UttaRetch. In reality I have more patterns than lengths of fabric so the fact that so few appeal to me is probably a good thing.

Francesca

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 11:10:19 AM »
I can see you in the wrap dress Fran, too young for me but very pretty and wearable.

I'm going to Spain in June so it could be nice for that. I always struggle with wrap dresses though because I cannot get them to hug my bust properly in a woven.

Greybird

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »
No, not angry, not upset. Very disappointed that none of the collections (this being the latest one) has anything at all that appeals to me. A year or so ago I was buying patterns frequently - maybe 10- 12 a year, mostly from McCalls, Vogue and Butterick. In the last year, I think I have bought two - and one was from an independent company. The offerings from ALL have been underwhelming to say the least, but McCalls in particular  have been completely unsuitable. Having been buying and using McCalls patterns for years, I had no idea that I had suddenly outgrown them!

Tamnymore

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »
I agree @Greybird it's McCalls that has changed not us!

In fact, the pattern companies would do well to try to attract the more mature woman with exquisite taste like so many of us are (ahem). Many of us will have more time to sew, will have sewing skills and will have built up stashes we are trying to use up.

I'm not convinced that younger women would like these patterns either so I'm not sure who they are for.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:13:07 PM by Tamnymore »

Francesca

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
The collection is getting serious comment (as in, positive comment and love) from most of my younger sewing friends, so I'm not sure that statement is entirely true.

I'm thinking of making the off-the-shoulder stripey top exactly as pictured. I really like off the shoulder tops, though I may consider adding removable straps for when I can't be bothered with a strapless bra.

Also really want to make the long mac duster coat, but I have one that is a bit similar and probably more flattering. Though maybe there is room for one in black in my wardrobe as my other is camel coloured.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:29:40 PM by Francesca »

Tamnymore

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 12:45:21 PM »
Aah the patterns are for the young 'uns then!  :D

Efemera

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 13:08:19 PM »
Not much there for trotting  around Tesco.. unless it’s this one!

UttaRetch

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 17:44:16 PM »
It would make a change from jim-jams and curlers. 0_0