The Sewing Place

The "texta quilt"...what else can possibly go wrong!

rubywishes

The "texta quilt"...what else can possibly go wrong!
« on: March 16, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »
My tally was up to 10 hours, 2 needles and 4.5 bobbins of spiralling this thing and thinking rather smugly that I had valiantly climbed back up and over the "Hill of Despair" after surviving the texta incident (btw, I can still see the odd faded line or two of pink texta,sigh) and then bravely plunging into the world of "don't bother me dearest for about 4 days 'cause I'm spiralling myself stupid in my little sewing room"  when it occurred to me I should be checking the back of my quilt to make sure all is as it should be. So I flipped the sodding thing over and started to peruse it. Not bad; 2 small little puckers, meh, nothing worth unpicking stitches over.....yep.....all good....but  :o no, what's this?  And what's this? (Repeat this another 3 times and raise your voice with each repeat) :S   Cripes, I have 5 small holes in the backing fabric. They must have been there right from the start but were so small (about 1/4" round) I missed them..maybe I put them there, I dunno but there they are.  :devil:   I've stitched over them in a rather odd haphazard manner with a hand needle and thread just to stabilise them for the moment but I'm guessing I will need to whack some sort of applique or patch  of some sort over them. -< What sort of hand thread should I use and would old fashioned blanket stitch be ok? The backing is a dark brown fabric.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:03:28 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

Re: The "texta quilt"...what else can possibly go wrong!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 19:44:42 PM »
Oh! Those lanterns are beautiful Rubes!

This is the quilt you whiteboard marked ??? ... no wonder you were devastated !!!

Are all the offending holes together?
Could you place a label or an additional block over them to cover?
or patch like I did with 10 ???

Backing doesn't have to be one fabric ... it can be pieced, appliqued or whatever !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 00:48:07 AM »
Your quilt is gorgeous, Ruby. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for covering your holes, other than what Iminei has already said. If your tiny holes are a long way apart from each other, then covering them with an equally tiny appliqued patch would be almost invisible in the dark brown backing. I see no reason why you shouldn't use blanket stitch but it would have to be as tiny as the patches (obviously).  :[
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 08:23:42 AM »
How frustrating, Ruby, but good advice about how to deal with the holes.

The quilt is gorgeous and I am in awe of your quilting.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 09:12:31 AM »
Good grief Ruby, that spiral quilting is amazing.  Your head must be spinning.
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 12:31:27 PM »
Well my luck continues to evade me, my holes are magnificently scattered so I am going to have to deal with them separately. Grrrrrr would've been nice to just whack just one label or decorative "thingy" on and have it cover the whole group but alas it is not to be.  :'(  But fortunately, only one hole corresponds with the cream section on the top so that section gets the discreetly positioned quilt label. The other little holes on the dark brown back correspond with the dark fabric which I used for the top so I am going to be a real chicken and simply get Bernice the Bernina to whiz a few securing zigzag stitches right over the holes. I'll use the same coloured thread and it won't be easily noticeable when looking at the top. Sort of like the faded pink texta lines.  :|  Now, if I can just get the blooming thing finished without any further nasty, nasty little mishaps I'll be a happy girl.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!