The Sewing Place

NEW FEATURE: Upload inline images

Francesca

NEW FEATURE: Upload inline images
« on: March 18, 2018, 16:39:22 PM »
This feature is for Subscribers only, as the "image attachment" feature is a subscriber perk. (Sign up for as little as £1 a month!)

You can now upload/attach images via the forum as usual, but insert them at intervals in your post. No more having a stream of images at the bottom of your post only with no context.

This is a bit of a techy one, so if you would prefer not to worry about this you can carry on as before attaching images to your post and they will show at the bottom.

Instructions

1. Create your new post and click the "+" Attachments button below the post, as usual.
2. Choose your picture attachment

3. Once the picture has been selected, after a few seconds you should see an option "Insert Attachment X"

4. Place your cursor in the post box where you want the image to show
5. Click "Insert Attachment X" for the attachment you want, and a piece of BB Code will be added to your post

6. Click post, and the image will show where the code was placed in your post.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Notes for consideration

Images put inline will show at the size they are saved on your machine, or at 100% of the page width whichever is smaller. Therefore images uploaded in this way might look HUGE and you are encouraged to resize them to a more pleasant size before uploading. Picresize is good for this: http://www.picresize.com/ 600px is a nice width.

Also, clicking the "preview" button will show a message "attachment has not been uploaded yet". This is OK. The image will only get uploaded once you click "post" so use this message to check you have the picture in the right place, and then click "post" and it will show.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 16:41:30 PM by Francesca »

Francesca

Re: NEW FEATURE: Upload inline images
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 16:40:45 PM »
Please test and report any problems here: https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,3805.new.html rather than in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 16:42:36 PM by Francesca »

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 21:00:03 PM »
I'm not a subscriber and I just use the insert image function.  How is this different?
C'est moi!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 21:20:08 PM »
This is for images that are on your computer and not uploaded to an image hosting site.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 22:23:22 PM »
Yep as Acorn said. Subscribers can attach pics to the post. And now they can insert them into the post content at the point they prefer. It means you don't have to upload it to Flickr/Imgur/elsewhere before posting. The pictures are placed on the forum servers.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 10:37:42 AM »
gotcha
C'est moi!

Sakar

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 20:27:39 PM »
... It means you don't have to upload it to Flickr/Imgur/elsewhere before posting. The pictures are placed on the forum servers.

What a great idea and service!!  0_0 Thank you very much!!!  :flower: