The Sewing Place

Hello from Dublin, Ireland

tabithatortie

Hello from Dublin, Ireland
« on: March 18, 2018, 21:42:40 PM »
Hi, thanks for having me, I'm very new to sewing, I was given a sewing machine last year as a gift as it wasn't being used by my friend. So far I've sewn little catnip toys for cats, and I've spent the last two weeks sewing a really simple tote bag (I cut the pattern pieces wrong, and then sewed some of it wrong too). Next I'm hoping to do a circle skirt for my god daughter, judging by the tote bag, should take me, what, about 2 months?  0_0

Sandra

Re: Hello from Dublin, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 21:46:20 PM »
Hello tabithatortie.

Welcome to the Sewing Place.

We're a friendly bunch and you'll get lots of good advice if you get stuck with anything.

Sandra.
xxx

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 22:04:34 PM »
Hello and welcome from me, between us we've got hundreds of years experience of doing it wrong aswell as doing it right if that makes any sense to you  0_0 so do t struggle, ask

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 22:18:58 PM »
Welcome, Tabithatortie.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 23:06:32 PM »
Welcome, you are our 500th member  :toast:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 23:22:24 PM »
Welcome Tabitha!  :toast: The Members here are very friendly and love to help out. Have a look around and ask questions when you have them.

Were those toys for a Tortie? We have 2 Tortie here with us.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 00:02:06 AM »
Hi Tabithatortie - lovely to see you here. It doesn't matter how quickly or slowly you sew as long as you enjoy it. I sew at snail's pace but love every minute of it. You'll certainly learn a lot belonging to TSP.

And lucky you - living in Dublin - it's a beautiful city.  :flower:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

tabithatortie

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »
Were those toys for a Tortie? We have 2 Tortie here with us.

They sure were - I've two torties too - I love torties  :meow:

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:05:45 AM »
Welome!

A circle skirt is certainly an interesting project. Just be prepared for mountains of hemming!

tabithatortie

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 13:30:20 PM »
A circle skirt is certainly an interesting project. Just be prepared for mountains of hemming!

I decided to make it for my god daughter rather than me as I thought the smaller the better, and she's 4 so it won't be too big, still lots and lots of hemming though but I definitely need the practise  :vintage: I'm planning on following the tutorial from Made Everyday on youtube (unless anyone has a better suggestion).

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 14:47:38 PM »
Welcome from me too  :toast: and congratulations on being Member No. 500! 

Good luck with the hemming :)

maliw

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 15:57:49 PM »
Sorry if I missed you yesterday, welcome to the forum 0_0 We all started sewing slowly, the more you do the more confidence you will get and you will speed up. However some things are made for slow sewing. Enjoy.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 16:50:21 PM »
Hi tabithatortie, welcome from me too. Slow sewing is 'the thing' of the moment so you're starting absolutely in the current groove. ;) I just sew slowly because I'm retired and no longer need to rush it, most of the time anyway.

You will need to let a circle skirt in woven fabric drop and level the hem again and yes, there's the slightly awkward hemming on curved edges but it's doable using the right techniques  - a great topic for your next post I think!  :) Lots of tutorials online that we could recommend, in fact lots of people here to help you too. In any case, I'm sure she'll be so pleased with her swishy twirly skirt she won't be examining the hem.

There's also the exciting possibility of using non-woven fabrics that don't need hemming and won't drop either such as knits and tulle - lycra circle skirts are the swirliest of all!  :D  Some people are nervous of these fabrics because they need different techniques to the ones they're already familiar with but I think when it's all new to you is the very best time to try it, especially if you have a zigzag machine. In fact, a circle skirt is an absolute doddle as you can just make a waistband from wide elastic and then stitch it straight onto the skirt that you've cut out in one piece. Lycra and tulle is the food and drink of the dance people, so if you want to give it a go come and have a chat!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 22:56:09 PM »
A belated welcome from me too.