The Sewing Place

A new style of vintage Brother sewing machine? How did I not know about this

Bowerbird

This pic appeared on my FB page in the little marketplace adds on the side.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

How the **&#% do you thread the bugger, the spool holder is missing.

arrow

LOL

I haven't seen a typewriter in use for years. They were gradually being replaced when I was a child. I know some offices still have one, but it's for specific purposes and not that often. They are mostly idle in back room some where. I have a Remington Quiet-Writer some where. Not too long ago I read a New York service shop had an increase in ink ribbon sale and young people came in with old type writers to have them sorted out. Some older people never stopped using them, though it was hardly comparable to what it was in the 1980s. I don't think there is a shop in my town for this type of stuff at all anymore. I know ribbons can be bought on ebay. These days some spools type can be hard to find, and you might have to wind the new ribbon on to the old spools. A bit messy, but it's easy.

Surest1tch

Ooooh, I used to have one just like that

Bowerbird

My very clever sister-in-law has solved this conundrum for me.

"It's a type'nsew. invented in or around 1933 to demonstrate how multi skilled women are. You could take dictation first up memeos at morning tea and whip up new office cushions when your boss when out for lunch.> Thats why you dont see men typist anymore once the Type'n sew was invented they had no idea how to use it. very clever invention lol I hope this clears thing up for you"

StitchinTime

Perhaps it is a vintage embroidery unit for the machine - not very good at pictures and only does one style of lettering   ;)

Marniesews

Another reason why I love this board, in addition to the pretty pictures of course - your knowledgeable and imaginative analysis of the rare and unusual!  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.