The Sewing Place

Aaaarrggggghhhh....I've got wisps!

rubywishes

Aaaarrggggghhhh....I've got wisps!
« on: March 19, 2018, 07:36:26 AM »
So I may have accidentally, by not paying attention, sandwiched my texta quilt with the scrim facing the wrong way and given that my batting is white and my backing is dark brown, I now have very noticeable white fuzz all over my backing where the needle has punched it through.  :angry:
So does anyone have any experience with this? Do you reckon a lint shaver or a disposable razor may help to remove the whiskers? Or should I stop being so anal and not worry about it...it is on the back afterall and will be a couch quilt so.....

Any advice other than to take up stamp collecting? And no, this quilt has come waaaaay to far ie, 14 hours now of quuilting for me to even consider skinning it and starting again. Lordy, I feel the need for a scotch at the mere thought!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

Re: Aaaarrggggghhhh....I've got wisps!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:48 AM »
You have to lay your wadding how ????   -<

there's a right side and wrong side ???  :S

Errr ... its not the first of April yet, is it ?   :P
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:44:08 AM »
What kind of batting is it?

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:54:42 AM »
Im, my understanding is that some batting come with a "scrim" a fine layer/webbing that is meant to keep the batting fibres more stable and together. I think in theory it enables a wider quilting space but it's also useful to prevent the needle punching wisps of wadding through your fabric. If you place your batting "scrim side" down, ie against your backing then supposedly when the needle punches down from the top fabric and pierces through the batting and then the backing, the scrim helps prevent the needle pushing wisps through as it completes its stitch. If the scrim is "up" against the underside of the top fabric then the needle is passing through the batting AFTER it has gone through the scrim so there is nothing to stop any wisps being carried through from the batting out the backing stitch hole. Now, some battings don't "wisp" as much as others, and obviously if you have a dark/charcoal coloured batting with your dark backing fabric, wisps aren't going to be so noticeable.
There....clear as mud,,,simples....well, that's my understanding of the process, I am happy to stand corrected if I am wrong.
Hi Efemera, my batting is a 60/40 wool poly...white...ugh....I knew I should've bought some dark batting but thought I could get away with the white as I have heaps of it if I laid the scrim correctly...duh.......
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:57:25 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »

there's a right side and wrong side ???  :S

Some wadding are definitely different on the two sides, especially those held together with a scrim layer.  I didn't realise though that it made a difference as to whether or not whisps of fibre (bearding) could get through the outer fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 09:12:33 AM »
Sorry I can’t help, I’ve only ever used Warm and Natural and never had wisps.

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
Some wadding are definitely different on the two sides, especially those held together with a scrim layer.  I didn't realise though that it made a difference as to whether or not whisps of fibre (bearding) could get through the outer fabric.

This is just my understanding/conclusion from the reading I have done. I think thread count can make a difference too as far as bearding goes. A thinner weave in your fabric may also allow bearding if the batting is so inclined, but my backing fabric had a thread count of 78 so was a good quality. I'm left thinking the upside down scrim is the reason. Meanwhile, I'm still contemplating how to get rid of my wisps -<.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:16:39 AM by rubywishes »

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:19:37 AM »
Never heard of that @rubywishes   :S I just use 80/20 wadding any way it falls from the packet  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »
So no one has had bearding?? :S I guess I'm just special then. "Special" in a "wrong texta/hole-y/bearded"  kinda way. sigh, I do have talent for ineptitude don't I??  Ah well, I shall just muddle on and try to find a solution. Tomorrow is another day.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »
I'm sure this would help Rubes.... :toast: :gin: :cake: :toast: :gin: :cake:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 01:39:11 AM »
A bit late to this one but - yes - I've had bearding. I was using an 80/20 cotton/poly wadding and the wisps showed up horribly against a plain dark blue fabric.  :S I assumed at the time that it was the needle I was using that had created the bearding because I'd forgotten to change the needle from a previous project, and it was bigger than I usually use for quilting. (It was a 90/14 universal and I usually use an 80/12 microtex.)

I spent ages going over the blue border (luckily it was only the border where it showed up) with a tiny pair of sharp scissors, cutting all the wisps off. I hadn't thought of a lint shaver (I've got one somewhere) but it sounds like a good idea.

I've used the same wadding again since, and this time I used the 80/12 needle and had no problems. Sorry, Ruby, but I really don't know whether it's anything to do with which way up (or down) you place the wadding as I don't usually take any notice of which way the wadding goes in the sandwich.

In my case, it could also be something to do with the fabric because the dark blue fabric was a much thicker cotton than I usually use. Unfortunately there are so many variables that it's difficult to pin it down to just one culprit.  :devil:

Sorry I can't offer any practical suggestions - just know that you are not alone. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 11:23:37 AM »
Thanks Kenora. I've tried 2 different brands of needles and with each brand, 2 or 3 different types of needle but it hasn't made any difference. I'm using a 50wt thread and a size 80/12 needle....my standard weapons of choice for quilting  0_0.
The backing fabric has a good thread count so I would've thought it can't be due to a thin weave letting wisps through. The lint shaver has done a good job of removing most of the fuzz so now I just hope that that is the end of it and there'll be no further pokies.

I agree with you...many variables to consider and when you start researching on the 'net you get a multitude of opinions  many of them conflicting with each but all bearing some merit or logic.

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 22:01:24 PM »
Quilting's certainly not an exact science, is it Ruby? Although you'd think it ought to be, bearing in mind the exact measurements and scant 1/4" etc etc. :S

Glad to hear your lint shaver did the trick. Wish I'd have thought of that earlier in the day with mine. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 16:09:56 PM »
But if it's on the back does it matter very much?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

rubywishes

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »
But if it's on the back does it matter very much?

I've come to that decision too Catlar!  :) (Sorry for the late reply......unexpected work obligations).