The Sewing Place

Charity shop finds

Lincoln hobbit

Charity shop finds
« on: March 19, 2018, 15:54:25 PM »
I found these two machines in a local charity shop. One of them is a Wheeler and Wilson hand crank machine. The other is a beautiful treadle (which I really, really don't want...much!!) It has no name that I could see though it has a reference number which I tried to photograph.
Does anyone have any information about them, please?
 [  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   id=0 msg=55692]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lincoln hobbit

Re: Charity shop finds
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 15:55:08 PM »
OK so the photos haven't attached. I'll try again...

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 15:56:52 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 15:59:03 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 16:04:23 PM »
Oh my, that treadle's really pretty and the W&W will look lovely when it's been cleaned & polished. I do hope you get at least one of them.

Did you look over the treadle frame for a name? I like the fact it's also got decals, very nice touch. I'm sure the knowledgeable Vintage crew will have info for you or a signpost to more info.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 16:28:03 PM »
The decals on the treadle machine look the same as the machine produced by Jones for the CWS:
http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/jones5.htm

There might be a manufacture's name (rather than a retailer's name) on the metal part of the treadle frame. Sometime this is on the pedal, but often it is above the pedal (on the part that is just out of view on your photo).

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 16:35:05 PM »
Ohhhh that treadle machine is beautiful.   :loveit:  It's a good thing I'm on the other side of the country!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 17:28:07 PM »
Reader, I bought him!! :D The treadle is now in my lounge in the bay window. It needs some work to sort it out but I'll give it a go. I will no doubt be asking for help on here from ask you knowledgeable people.

arrow

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 18:29:41 PM »
A W&W never turns up here, what a find! They are suppose to be very nice running and nice to work on. The only problem is they are few and far between. This is a type of straight stitcher you could set up for regular use.

The treadle looks likea Singer VS2? I'm not sure, there are a few very similar shuttle models and I can't always see the difference with out a bit of research. It looks like it's in very nice condition, it's a nice model too.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 18:55:01 PM »
If I had the room and a choice I would snap the treadle up, if I don't count my industrial machine my treadle was the best machine I ever had.

arrow

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 22:20:45 PM »
Here's an overview of the oil points on an older CS model. Helen Howes have round shank needles for it, I'm not sure if they all took this type of needle. They are available on ebay too, and there's often a modern replacement that works with the older machines. The challenge is to track them down and do some commparing and test sewing. There's even extra bobbins available.

I think I would have jumped for the W&W No 9, especially if it cound be fitted with motor and lights ;- )

Edit,
I should probably delete this post, since StitchinTime already had mentioned most of what I wrote, that's what I get for reading forums on my phone.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 23:44:45 PM by arrow »

Deafoldbat

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 19:31:47 PM »
The W&W has also been rehomed, once I figure out how to get it here (it's in temporary lodgings for the moment). Further down the slippery slope...oh dear :|

DH said 'What??? Why???' then said 'Does this mean I can have my fruit machine?' Now really, what does he think the answer will be to that? ;)