The Sewing Place

Fabric advice please

sewingj

Fabric advice please
« on: March 20, 2018, 13:31:09 PM »
Iwant to make a short sleeved blouse for the Summer out of something that is about the same weight as cotton lawn but doesn`t crease too much.  What should I be looking for?  (I`m not keen on poly cotton)

UttaRetch

Re: Fabric advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 13:47:25 PM »
What about a linen cotton mix?

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 15:22:55 PM »
Linen usually creases more readily than cotton so I would have thought that a cotton linen mix would crease.  I made a top last year from a linen viscose mix and that doesn't crease too much.  It's a bit heavier than cotton lawn though.
Life's too short for ironing.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 15:50:13 PM »
I think I want something lighter weight than linen.  I`ve just received a sample of this
https://www.dragonflyfabrics.co.uk/product/cotton-lawn-japanese-garden/

but it`s very matt and creases like mad  (it`s also a lot more peachy coloured than in the photo)

I seem to remember having some Liberty Tana Lawn years ago and it had a bit more sheen to it and I don`t think it creased so much - but I don`t want to pay that much!

Would poplin be ok or is that quite stiff?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 16:26:39 PM by sewingj »

Bobbinalong

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 20:53:54 PM »
I think that lawns come in various qualities.  Tightly woven ones, like Liberty tana lawn do not crease as much as some of the looser weave ones. I think getting samples is the way to go.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 22:02:11 PM »
There's no easy answer to that question.

The natural fibres - cotton, linen and silk all crease easily as does man-made rayon.
Wool doesn't crease so badly but then you probably don't want wool for summer.

The synthetic fibres, mainly nylon and polyester are much more crease resistant largely  because they don't absorb much moisture, but in a single layer is unlikely to be comfortable, especially if you don't like poly-cotton.

The reason there are a lot of blends, like poly-cotton, is to try and get the best of both but it never truly works.  Poly cotton is never as absorbent as 100% cotton and it's never as easy to care for as 100% synthetic.  It's a case of weighing up the pros and cons and deciding which is most important to you.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 23:33:59 PM »
Lawn really is your best bet if you want to stay natural, aside from aforementioned wool. A very satin-y soft lawn will crease less than a more crisp one.

Alternatively, a fairly densely decorated broderie anglaise won't show creases as much due to the texture and can be nice for summer.

jesster

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 00:07:14 AM »
Maybe lightweight cotton seersucker?  Not as drape-y as lawn so it depends on your pattern and preferences.

Kad

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 07:13:20 AM »
I've got a couple of summer tops that I made from a cotton/ silk mix. It's a tiny bit heavier than lawn,less transparent and looks tidy at the end of the day too.
It inhabited my stash for quite a few years before I cut into it,  :D so can't remember where it came from unfortunately. If I could find anymore I'd buy some though.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 08:04:43 AM »
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:07:57 AM by sewingj »

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 08:08:36 AM »
Standfast and Barracks are no longer printing Liberty tana lawn but they are doing their own version and they have some great pattterns and the fabric has a lovely finish. It is easily as nice as Libeerty.The best way to order is to find them on their factory shop fb page to see their designs then order on their telesales number. When I ordered the lawn was £6.99 pm and next day delivery was a flat rate of £7 - so you would want to order a few metres  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

fajita

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »
@sewingj

If it's OK for me, it's ok for you. It's lovely stuff.

sewingj

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 13:15:47 PM »
@Fajita  - really pretty - you`ve sold it to me!
(young man in the photo looks very handsome too!)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 13:17:52 PM by sewingj »