The Sewing Place

glass sew on stones

Alangus

glass sew on stones
« on: March 21, 2018, 09:14:22 AM »
Has anyone got any tips on where to buy glass or economic crystal flat back shaped sew on stones for dance costumes. I dont want to buy Swarovski or Perciosa but would like a decent alternative. Ive tried al the usual dancewear suppliers (trim it, Chrisanne Clover, DSI, Crystal Parade). The outlets I buy crystals from just have swarovski and perciosa which are lovley and I use them, but I'd llike to investigate other alternatives. I also want to find a strong purple colour and their ranges of sew on dont seem to include one.

Thanks

Al

Marniesews

Re: glass sew on stones
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 18:31:08 PM »
I can't suggest strong purple sew-on stones, Alangus but I can suggest one very good UK source of excellent budget rhinestones in general.

I've been loathe to mention them unless requested simply because there's so much "anything that isn't Swarovski/Preciosa isn't good enough" attitude around and as their price is only a tiny fraction of the others, I'm not prepared to face the dismissive judgmental comments based on big brand blindness.  This is based on my FB experience rather than here, I hasten to add, but it makes me reticent nevertheless.

The ones I've used since Sept 2016 always get compliments and at their price we can actually afford the level of stones often used in the ballroom and to encrust her shoes too. I've made her bangles with them to match her various dresses too - the 2 row ones are about 150 stones and the 3 about 225 so she'd be lucky to have one pair in Swarovski! She wears some bought Swarovski accessories such as choker and earrings (Christmas presents) and they are certainly not overpowered by them. In fact she's not asked for Swarovski since she realised just how good ours looked next to them. I tried to video one leotard just now but even though they're blinding under my table lamp, it just isn't picked up the same by my camera.

Do try a free sample and judge for yourself. They have big sew-on stones (crystal ab only) although imo their cut isn't proportionally as detailed as the Preciosa ones I have and imperfections in the ab coating can be seen closeup but still look very good in performance. Their other stones (generally ss16-30 in colours, ss10-40 in crystal ab) are very good indeed both in hotfix and non-hotfix. I use the latter generally but have used hot-fix with glue with just one occasion when a few came off and they replaced them all foc without question and without me even asking - great service and a very reliable and trustworthy supplier. They also have half pearls at very low prices, perfect for a one-wear outfit and even some ready-stoned lace appliqués. I can recommend Rhinestone HQ without reservation. They are on Facebook and online, even their basic delivery almost always arrives the next day and the owner Zeynep Jennings has rushed off an urgent order to me within minutes of my message enquiry to her.

They are currently in the process of moving over to a replica 2088 cut stone in crystal ab so their previous stock (that I'm still using) is currently being sold off at a really low price.

Foxtrot navy yoke & sleeves - Swarovski choker ss30 with Rhinestone HQ stones ss10/16/20 on dress

The teardrop stones are all sew-on

Set of bangles with SS16 stones
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Alangus

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 13:29:01 PM »
Thanks very much, that is great to know about. I was looking for coloured crystals stones as well - and they dont have any, have you ever come across any? I knwo that Perciosa, Lumie. Stellux and Swarovsky make coloured sew on stones but Id be interested to hear of any others. Lumie are hard to get here and teh Stelux range that I have found does not have many colours.

All the best

Al

CarolC

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 20:04:03 PM »
Hi!

Gosh, Jacky, the Rhinestone HQ ones are a good price, aren't they?! I have to get some samples!

I confess to being a Swarovski girl through and through, but I got some inexpensive AB stones in a range of sizes from Eimass to stick in my hair. I think I found them on ebay. Those are glass and while they aren't quite as bright as Swarovski, or as durable (I've chipped both coating and backing on a couple), they really aren't bad, and I wouldn't all mind putting them on a dress for someone who didn't want to spend a lot on stones.  They are a similar price range to the Rhinestone HQ stones, and I wonder if they are the same manufacturer.

They do purple sew-on stones, but only in the acrylic. At £2.99 for 20 it might be worth ordering a pack to see what they are like! http://www.eimass.co.uk/amethyst-purple-teardrop-eimass-resin-crystals-sew-or-glue-on-flat-back-rhinestones-36231-p.asp

My experience in the past (including the now discontinued Radiance line from Chrisanne) has been that cheap AB stones are fine (although the expensive ones are a little brighter), but you do get what you pay for with clear and the non-AB colours. The extra facets and better quality glass make a genuine difference with those.

Goggling "purple sew on rhinestones" threw up a bunch of things, but'd guess most are in China, so who knows about the quality!!

Lollipop

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 20:47:34 PM »
Ooo they look OK if the sparkle is there! I use Eimass almost exclusively these days but haven't tried their resin range. Let us know what you think Carol.x
Update
I now buy from Rhinestone and Jewellery World on AliExpress and they are really cheap and the quality is great. I still use Eimass glue but the Chinese crystals are so good.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 20:21:22 PM by Lollipop »
Was Sewnanny

Alangus

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 16:47:34 PM »
Just wanted to follow up to say thank you for the tip - rhinestones HQ were very helpful and sent out a chart and I bought a few single stones to see them. Ive just bought some smaller ss sizes just now that I like. Great tip- thanks so much.

I can't suggest strong purple sew-on stones, Alangus but I can suggest one very good UK source of excellent budget rhinestones in general.

I've been loathe to mention them unless requested simply because there's so much "anything that isn't Swarovski/Preciosa isn't good enough" attitude around and as their price is only a tiny fraction of the others, I'm not prepared to face the dismissive judgmental comments based on big brand blindness.  This is based on my FB experience rather than here, I hasten to add, but it makes me reticent nevertheless.

The ones I've used since Sept 2016 always get compliments and at their price we can actually afford the level of stones often used in the ballroom and to encrust her shoes too. I've made her bangles with them to match her various dresses too - the 2 row ones are about 150 stones and the 3 about 225 so she'd be lucky to have one pair in Swarovski! She wears some bought Swarovski accessories such as choker and earrings (Christmas presents) and they are certainly not overpowered by them. In fact she's not asked for Swarovski since she realised just how good ours looked next to them. I tried to video one leotard just now but even though they're blinding under my table lamp, it just isn't picked up the same by my camera.

Do try a free sample and judge for yourself. They have big sew-on stones (crystal ab only) although imo their cut isn't proportionally as detailed as the Preciosa ones I have and imperfections in the ab coating can be seen closeup but still look very good in performance. Their other stones (generally ss16-30 in colours, ss10-40 in crystal ab) are very good indeed both in hotfix and non-hotfix. I use the latter generally but have used hot-fix with glue with just one occasion when a few came off and they replaced them all foc without question and without me even asking - great service and a very reliable and trustworthy supplier. They also have half pearls at very low prices, perfect for a one-wear outfit and even some ready-stoned lace appliqués. I can recommend Rhinestone HQ without reservation. They are on Facebook and online, even their basic delivery almost always arrives the next day and the owner Zeynep Jennings has rushed off an urgent order to me within minutes of my message enquiry to her.

They are currently in the process of moving over to a replica 2088 cut stone in crystal ab so their previous stock (that I'm still using) is currently being sold off at a really low price.

Foxtrot navy yoke & sleeves - Swarovski choker ss30 with Rhinestone HQ stones ss10/16/20 on dress

The teardrop stones are all sew-on

Set of bangles with SS16 stones