The Sewing Place

Another jersey question

sewmuchmore

Another jersey question
« on: March 21, 2018, 17:10:37 PM »
Going round in circles looking for nice quality plain t shirt fabric in jewel colours. I don't want anything shiny, drapey or too stretchy or nylony. I have tried all the usual suspects, Minerva, Fabworks, Sherwoods, Textile Centre just to name a few.
Anyone any suggestions.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

Re: Another jersey question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 17:20:24 PM »
My Fabrics have quite a lot in cotton jersey and some in viscose jersey.  They're based in Germany but deliver at least as quickly as most UK companies.

If you choose 'unicolour' from the 'Motifs' filter you get just the plain ones.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 17:29:51 PM »
Dragonfly fabrics have some nice colourful viscose jersey .  I`ve had several things from them and always found them very good
https://www.dragonflyfabrics.co.uk/product-category/jersey/viscose-jersey/

Mozzy

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 18:43:17 PM »
I’ve just been browsing the Ditto fabrics site, which I think got a mention on here recently. I like jewel colours too and there were quite a few.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 20:14:18 PM »
Fabric Godmother is a nice site too.

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 13:53:18 PM »
I've bought ponte from the Cloth Spot and have been very pleased with it although they are not the cheapest around but their service is excellent and queries about fabric are dealt with quickly.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 20:09:49 PM »
Cloth Spot sell in tenths of a meter which is good, and they have some nice fabrics too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

hernibs

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »
Just a few minutes ago I did a search for linen/cotton jersey and there are some in Stone fabrics I like....I was just coming to ask if anyone had sewn this kind of jersey (silly question, of course you have) and wondering if I could make a top with it and have it look decent  given my inexperience with this kind of fabric.  The inspiration to try is to 'copy' some tops I've seen in the 'Poetry' catalogue at a fortune.
It is a slub fabric and totally natural (well except for the elastine) which I like....hate to be too warm and will put up with wrinkles to avoid that.

Sewcycle

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 18:21:30 PM »
I've bought jersey fabric from Tissu Fabrics online. They've always been reliable. They have many different sorts of jersey too.
'Is there a life before breakfast'

hernibs

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 19:15:46 PM »
I've bought jersey fabric from Tissu Fabrics online. They've always been reliable. They have many different sorts of jersey too.
Thanks, Sewcycle - will research that.

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 12:03:10 PM »
I used to buy a lot from Tissu- and some of their basic stretch wovens are nice for simple shirts...but most of the rest is very 'dancey' to my mind- good for looks, sometimes feels nasty.  Not all, but get swatches [and that's not something I often recommend]
C'est moi!

hernibs

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »
Tissu do have a lot of jerseys but as DF says a lot are not cotton.  I have bought cotton jersey for pj's but be sure to wash it first......I didn't wash this one and it has shrunk a little.  Aren't Tissu and fabrics by Maggie one and the same?  Not sure.

Nevis5

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 13:22:48 PM »
The Village Haberdashery www.thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk has nice jerseys too in lots of colours.  It's a lovely shop, if you're ever in that part of London, too.

sewingj

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 13:41:11 PM »
Tissu do have a lot of jerseys but as DF says a lot are not cotton.  I have bought cotton jersey for pj's but be sure to wash it first......I didn't wash this one and it has shrunk a little.  Aren't Tissu and fabrics by Maggie one and the same?  Not sure.

Tissu are the same as Tia Knight who sell on ebay (they have the same phone number anyway).  Sherwoods Fabrics also sell as Sharmas Fabrics.  I don`t know why people do this!

hernibs

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 13:44:52 PM »
Thanks....for the life of me I couldn't remember the correct one.....of course it's Tia Knight...senior moment!