The Sewing Place

Question about elastic?

Surest1tch

Question about elastic?
« on: March 22, 2018, 19:18:29 PM »
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, I haven't a clue which section to post it in.
Which is best between knitted elastic and knitted honeycomb elastic in waistbands?  I want to make some pull on pants for wearing around the house, I'm not too keen on ordinary elastic and it's been years since I used knitted elastic on anything, I can't even remember what it's like to be honest  :S.
Thanks in advance.

sewingj

Re: Question about elastic?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 19:31:00 PM »
If you go to the Haberdashery thread there`s a post called Elastic Confusion where Morgan has put a lengthy description of different types of elastic - perhaps that  would be helpful

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 18:57:51 PM »
Thank you, found it

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 19:26:47 PM »
@Surest1tch  Hemline do a good, non-roll waistband elastic which you can usually  find for about £1.99 for a 1m piece  It does not curl up and I use it loads  John Lewis do a much more expensive, but only slightly better quality version. I think the name is Goldzack or something like that.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 19:10:27 PM »
Thank you so much @Tamnymore if Hemline have a web site I'll try and find it.  Sadly we don't have a John Lewis anywhere near us.
I never ever thought a simple thing like elastic would turn my head to mush like this.  I used to use something I knew as "soft elastic" which was really good it never rolled or felt stiff across your waistline but they've either stopped making it or renamed it

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 22:34:13 PM »
I get mine in Abakhan or the Cloth Shop in Edinburgh - sorry probably not much use to you.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 16:54:31 PM »
I get mine in Abakhan or the Cloth Shop in Edinburgh - sorry probably not much use to you.

That's fine, every answer helps.  I usually try to buy in bulk when I can and  hadn't realised Hemline was a brand, not a company until the penny dropped of course doh  :fish: :fish: :fish:

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 12:43:36 PM »
I like Hemline for waistbands as it comes in a 20mm width but I do wish I could buy it by the metre rather than in 1m lengths.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up