The Sewing Place

Morris Jacket -

Gernella

Morris Jacket -
« on: March 23, 2018, 13:31:06 PM »
It really hacks me off when you see something that everybody loves and you make it and you look  a dog.  Use your bust size it said, I did, but still not comfortable.  Some pictures seemed to show it hang funny, I interlined mine  and it was fine.  The sleeves seemed a bit narrow and I wanted them long so I changed to two piece sleeves and had trouble fitting them into the armhole.  I wanted it longer, held the pattern against me but never noticed the back neck was included (that was a bit of baby brain for over a month, (right prescription wrong brand), looked too hippy.. 

I got to nearly the end, looked at it laid out and thought why waste my time, bundled it up and shoved away, another stone off might do it.

On the other hand this has turned out fine:

https://www.palmerpletsch.com/product/mccalls-7694-melissas-moto-jacket/

I just wish I'd gone with the colour I originally intended.  I'm biting my nails over doing the heavy duty snaps next.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lizzy777

Re: Morris Jacket -
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 14:21:14 PM »
Oh that's really good to hear as I bought this pattern a couple of months ago but just haven't even managed to open the envelope of it yet due to illness. It does look a good pattern. What colour did you use on it? Are you able to post any pictures as I would really love to see them

lizzy

Samantha

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 14:25:25 PM »
Love that jacket! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 15:17:54 PM »
The Morris jacket is inexplicably popular, but I have yet to see a good version.  I think it's a dull and shapeless.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 15:24:05 PM »
I bought the pattern... then gave up.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 15:28:09 PM »

:\

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 15:37:32 PM »
I had a quick look at Grainline patterns - they all look plain, dull, and boring to me  :S

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 15:50:47 PM »
She looks just a bit embarrassed, doesn't she!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 16:02:42 PM »
What colour did you use on it? Are you able to post any pictures as I would really love to see them

lizzy

I had intended pink like the picture but when it came, sort of a heavy duty flannel, it was more of a sugar pink so I chickened out and used some boring beige drill cotton, which I had bought for DH for a jacket (then he went and bought  a jacket).  It's one of those patterns that when made up looks exactly like the drawings.  Just a pity about the colour, still could do another one later.   

I did nearly balls it up, it needed an open ended zip, I had one but two inches longer so I used it.  It was shorter for a good reason!  The end where it really matters I've chopped off, other side I've had to leave.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lizzy777

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 16:41:02 PM »
Well, it's good to know the pattern is a good fit if you do decide to make it in another fabric.  I thought the pattern would be good when I first saw it as  it as I thought it had been well designed. Thank you for the feedback.

I like it in the pink too but thought I may make it in a corduroy. (Not definitely decided yet though). There's some really nice soft corduroys in great colours around at the moment too.

lizzy

jen

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 17:05:41 PM »
There are a few ok Morisses on google images, but each of the better ones seems to owe its success to having picked a dramatic colour or changed the pattern, lengthening sleeves and/or body. On the majority the way it hangs from the shoulders in the front seems to lack something (dart shaping maybe). It looks a bit like it’s sitting on the fence between jacket and cardi.

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 10:32:36 AM »
She looks just a bit embarrassed, doesn't she!

I was told that smiling detracted from the clothes they were modelling, which is why they all have a po-face on the catwalk. Must be why I always smile at myself in the mirror, to detract from any cockups I want to ignore.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 18:01:45 PM »
I had a quick look at Grainline patterns - they all look plain, dull, and boring to me  :S

I have made the duffle coat, the Alders shirt dress and recently the Farrow dress, they have all made up beautifully with few alterations.
I do agree though that when you look at the website the designs look boring but i don't think the model does them justice. I think the model they have for the  Yates coat is much better.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 20:19:33 PM »
Not a style [or company] that has ever spoken to me...I agree that it doesn't deserve the title of 'jacket' it's way too cropped and casual.  Meh.

C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 21:13:29 PM »
I’ve made a few Alder shirt dresses... although I shortened them and made as tunics, it’s a lovely fit and drafted well.