The Sewing Place

Spring and summer knitting

jesster

Spring and summer knitting
« on: March 24, 2018, 14:14:54 PM »
Am I the only one who gets inspired to knit in spring and summer?  Every autumn I think of the long winter that could be spent knitting by the fire.  But no - no mojo, no inspiration, nothing.  For some reason, the minute the snow starts to melt and the days get longer and sunnier, I start looking at the knitting machines and the circular needles and the yarn stash and planning...  :wool:   Roll Eyes

Pearl

Re: Spring and summer knitting
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 16:32:18 PM »
Few signs of Spring here, Jess.  Snow is back on Wednesday.  However, I started a shawl (Celtic Myths) this morning, and bought some yarn for a throw this afternoon. 

What knitting plans do you have?

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 17:09:39 PM »
I've just started  a lovely shawl - seems an appropriate time for it  :)

jesster

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 20:25:04 PM »
I've been thinking about trying some cotton knits on the machine.  I have cotton yarn (is it called that over the pond?  Do you say "wool" for yarn - even if it's cotton?) and a pattern for a sleeveless scoop necked top. 

I always have some socks in progress via magic loop but they're not inspiring me much.  By the time midsummer hits, I'm sure I'll want to be knitting wool again!  So silly when I need summer clothes and have plenty of woolen sweaters/jumpers and socks.  I love the look of shawls, just not likely to wear one so I haven't tried that yet.  The Celtic Myths pattern looks like it will be lovely!

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 20:32:16 PM »
We use "wool" as a general term for yarn but would say cotton yarn if we were being specific.  I know it's not logical.   :D

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 21:03:02 PM »
It's an oddity which goes back to the days when almost all knitting was done with wool, but I have recently learned to say yarn rather than wool unless I really mean the stuff that grows on sheep.

Likewise at one time you nearly always used cotton for sewing with, and some people will still say a reel of cotton, or needle and cotton even though they are referring to polyester thread.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

jesster

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 14:06:10 PM »
Good to know.  I have some Yeoman cotton cannele (sp?) on cones that I want to use.  New thing for me on a machine and I'm not sure how it will work out.  I want a fabric that isn't indecent to wear by itself and yet drapes reasonably well.  Time to swatch, I guess.

KDC

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 03:57:32 AM »
Do you have a specific pattern in mind Jesster?  I’m waiting on some Yeoman Panama to arrive to start swatching for a machine knit spring top. Karen

jesster

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 13:30:46 PM »
I'm trying this one from Ravelry.  It's written for a mid gauge machine and for a different yarn.  This is typical for me.  I buy a pattern that is supposed to be "easy" and then proceed to change things.  By the time I'm done, I've spent 2 days reworking it to fit my gauge, adding length, tweaking something else...  And, I have a knit leader and a number of well-fitting sewing patterns, so I could create it from scratch to begin with.  Strange, the forms that inspiration can take.  Still, I've learned a lot in the process.

Do you have a pattern in mind?  The Cannele is new to me.  I think Panama is a bit thinner?  I was considering that next, depending how this turns out.

KDC

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 20:26:58 PM »
Nothing specific in mind — probably just a simple tee. I am hoping to use a punch card stitch pattern, but am concerned that two color stranding might give me a too thick fabric. One of the reasons I went with Panama — thought the blend would be lighter than a 100% cotton. I’ve never worked with Cannele — hope you’ll post how you liked it when you’re done.  :) Karen

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 06:59:34 AM »
Well I'm all ears to hear how the cotton yarns turn out for you both. I really like the idea of cotton, bamboo and linen, with maybe a touch of rayon. If I ever get the knitting machine set up those are what interest me the most.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

jesster

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 14:16:53 PM »
concerned that two color stranding might give me a too thick fabric
Yes, that's kept me from doing much color work also.  I know from the swatches that I wouldn't wear that thickness for myself.  I'll be interested to hear how the Panama works for you.  I know Colour Mart sells much thinner yarn/wool than I can generally find locally.  Just have to be careful that yarn acquisition doesn't hugely exceed production rate!  ;)

I'll post when done.  Workmen coming today and tomorrow, so it may be the weekend before I really get started.