The Sewing Place

All things baby

Sheilago

All things baby
« on: March 25, 2018, 23:12:23 PM »
Haven’t been around the dark side much as I have been kept busy helping my daughter with everything as she is pregnant and very sick.  :x Thought tonight I’d have a catch up as I’ve been missing all the sewing chat!
 However, the growing bump has given me lots of things to sew - nappy caddy, burp cloths etc.
 I’m now thinking about the play quilt, but am bamboozled by the vast range of ideas on the web. Whatever I do, it has to be neutral as our local hospital doesn’t reveal the sex of the baby. I can’t even decide whether to go geometric or cute appliqué- maybe a mixture of both! Baby due in July , so I’ve  still got plenty of time. When my children were babies I had a quilt ( my first ever patchwork - a simple log cabin) and a well secured bumper on their cot, but that’s all changed now, so it’ll be a play quilt only.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 23:25:19 PM by Sheilago »

Ellabella

Re: All things baby
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 23:51:19 PM »
Well done Sheilago, it's fun isn't it.  I'm in a similar position.  DD is poorly at the moment with No3. This baby wasn't planned and they got rid of everything after No 2 so lots of sewing to do.

We won't know the sex either. Just got to reassure DD as she is worried about her age, she's 38 and the possibilities that can bring and also we have twins in the family and one baby will stretch them but two!!

Once the sickness is over and she has had a scan things should get better.

Hope your DD feels better soon and enjoys the rest of her pregnancy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 23:53:02 PM by Ellabella »

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:08:16 AM »
Nice to see you back here Sheilago,
I was wondering where you had got to and thanks for renewing your subscription.

Something simple will be plenty effective for a Cot quilt/playmat ...do post pics and keep us up to date on your progress, Hope your daughter gets over that 'orrible sick period and stars feeling better ... yours too Ella.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 17:53:18 PM »
Made these in a spare half hour today- 2 burpees and 2 big burpees( can be used as little change mat, change mat liner for cold days (!) or little towel/ general mopping up cloth) . Cost £14 in total for 2 fat quarters and some towelling and still have some towelling left. Great wee present for the increasingly popular baby showers and you get such gorgeous flannel nowadays. Not the best photo: I just took it quickly to send to my daughter.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 19:22:16 PM »
@Sheilago try MSQC Self Binding Blanket

Its a really quick and useful baby make.

Can I ask where you got your towelling as I need some for baby things too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 19:23:47 PM by Ellabella »

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 22:55:16 PM »
Hi Ellabella.

Thanks for that. I did make a similar blanket with cuddle fleece and quilting fabric, but I like the way those instructions make a border on one side.

I just buy most fabric online.  I bought mint and cream terry towelling on EBay from swincraft2.