The Sewing Place

Hi there .... Errrmmmm I have a question ...

Iminei

Hi there .... Errrmmmm I have a question ...
« on: March 26, 2018, 14:55:37 PM »
(peeks round the corner of the door to the Lightside)  :o

Hi there .... Errrmmmm, excuse me but I have a question ....

Imself has (intentionally) lost quite a lot of weight in the last couple of months and has asked me to 'take in' his Jim Jam bottoms.

I tried to explain I couldn't actually sew but he seems to think I could just 'pinch the inch' or so of the elasticated waistband and leave it at that!!!  :S

Could anyone explain, in words a two year old could understand, how I could make a half decent job of this????

Thank you

(ducks back to the Darkside)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SkoutSews

Re: Hi there .... Errrmmmm I have a question ...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 15:37:04 PM »
Is the waistband just elastic sewn on to the waistband? Or is it in a casing? If it's the first one, you might get away with just taking in the seam at each side, angling in to the existing seam at the outside leg.

That won't be the proper way to do it, but if it works, well, it's only pjs! Try with a long stitch first, then it's easy to take out if it's no good or uncomfortable in wear.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 15:57:43 PM »
I think the elastic is in a casing ... I dont get too near his PJs if I can help it ... ;)

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 16:05:32 PM »
I think the elastic is in a casing ... I dont get too near his PJs if I can help it ... ;)

Unpick an inch or so of casing, [or just slit it on the inside if you can't]  pull up the elastic, and yeah, just sew out what you want to remove, then cut off the excess, let it boing back into the casing, and sew back down again.  Five minute job, and one of the few alterations I can be arsed to do!
C'est moi!

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 16:49:47 PM »

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 17:10:52 PM »
Im loooooving that Pearl, Thank you!

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 17:11:57 PM »
Wow DF, THAT Easy ????

I'll give it a go then! xxx

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 17:41:40 PM »
Buy him some new ones  :devil:
Love that, Pearl  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 18:28:15 PM »
Unpick an inch or so of casing, [or just slit it on the inside if you can't]  pull up the elastic, and yeah, just sew out what you want to remove, then cut off the excess, let it boing back into the casing, and sew back down again.  Five minute job, and one of the few alterations I can be arsed to do!

That's exactly what I'd do too, after all he's going to bed in them not to a fashion parade

Bogwoppit

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 18:37:33 PM »
Another way is sew some elastic on the inside of the waistband just across the back pulling it in the desired amount, I use this for my son's when they get new trousers for the length but their waist is still skinny.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 16:04:03 PM »
Well I have done something ... we will see if it is enough when Imself gets home.

It was more complicated than anticipated as ...

Firstly to get into the casing I had to unpick the bottom row of stitching from the outside of the PJs and they were teeny black stitches on black !

Secondly the stitching at the top of the waistband went through the elastic too so I had to unpick a lot of that.
I then sewed the elastic together using a triple stretch stitch ????, then cut off the excess and attempted to sew the casing back together, top and bottom using a stretch stitch ?? and stretching the elastic and fabric out as I did so.

Is that even approaching right???

There's a bit of bulk at the back of the waistband where the extra fabric has gathered but as some wise person said, it will be covered by the top when worn... Imself really isn't Cpn Jack (sad to say) and doesn't go around bare chested anymore, Thank Goodness!

So as long as I took enough elastic out it should be good!

Sandra

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 16:22:26 PM »
I wondered if you were going to find some (annoying) stitching through the band and elastic to complicate things slightly.

Sounds spot-on to me, Iminei. You've taken them in!

And, don't forget...they're just jim-jams. They're going to be absolutely fine and dandy.
I'm sure hubby will be delighted he no longer has to worry about any night time wardrobe malfunction.  :o

Sandra.
xxx

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 18:04:17 PM »
As we both sleep "au naturel" is isn't a problem we encounter  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 21:03:16 PM »
Well done

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 08:00:42 AM »
They fit after sorts,

I could have taken more elastic out but I was beginning to lose the will to live unpicking all those teeny tiny invisibuble stitches ...
but I've told him that if he loses any more weight there is No Way Jose that Im doing that again... he'll just have to buy new Jim Jams !

@Lowena , these are for lounging around the house ... not sleeping in.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:02:44 AM by Iminei »