The Sewing Place

Newbie here

Lulu

Newbie here
« on: March 26, 2018, 18:06:36 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you for letting me join your forum, from reading some of your posts I can see that there is a wealth of talent & skills here... I'm hoping a little bit of that might rub off on me!

I've never really used a sewing machine before, but I've reached the point where I've had it with ill-fitting clothes and I'm ready to attempt to do better!

My main interests at the moment are learning to make Baby/Children's Clothes & Nursing Wear. I'll probably be starting with some simple bandana bibs and going from there.

Apologies in advance for any daft questions, as this is all new to me, and a lot of the terminology is quite baffling!

Lu x

Surest1tch

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 18:19:16 PM »
Hello Lulu and welcome.  The only daft question there is, is the one that's never asked
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 18:21:31 PM by Surest1tch »

Lulu

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 18:28:38 PM »
Thank you - I have so many!   0_0

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 18:41:13 PM »
Hi Lulu.  Welcome!  There certainly is a wealth of knowledge and skill on this forum and I'm sure that you will receive plenty of help and advice. I'm usually found in the Darkside (patchwork and quilting) but I have plans to move into the light.   Help yourself to  :drink: and  :cake:

maliw

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 19:21:14 PM »
Hello and welcme to the forum. Don't forget that we were all beginners once and had to start somewhere. If you need help just ask, we don't bite. Enjoy. 0_0
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 19:47:51 PM »
Welcome, Lulu.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

jesster

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 19:56:24 PM »
Welcome Lulu.  I'm new here as well, but I've been sewing for ...  let's say many years.  ;)  Love to have people new to sewing on a forum - the questions you ask end up being inspiring to everyone as they often bring up many ways of doing the same thing.  I still learn from reading the answers to newbie questions.  Ask away!

fajita

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 21:44:08 PM »
 :flower: welcome  :flower:

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 04:52:28 AM »
Hello, Lulu, and welcome!  :toast: Ask away, someone here will know the answer  ;)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:33:22 AM »
Hello, Lulu, and welcome!  :toast: Ask away, someone here will know the answer  ;)

Exactly!

Welcome!  :toast: Enjoy your new sewing adventure....and the little ones.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 08:50:34 AM »
Hi Lulu,
One of my first projects was bandana bibs. I first used an old town but quickly worked out that cheap flannels cut diagonally were a lot less hassle. Back them with quilting cotton in a fun print and voila!

Best of luck!

Lisa
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »
Welcome Lulu!

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 10:06:09 AM »
Welcome Lulu, enjoy using your sewing machine, have a good look around this lovely place.
Still learning

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 00:44:07 AM »
Hi Lulu - nice to meet you.  :flower: I've made lots of baby/children's things in the past and particularly like the patterns of Marina Brumpton. She trades as Frocks & Frolics and has loads of extremely helpful and detailed videos on YouTube.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lolli

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 19:09:55 PM »
Hi and welcome to TSP Lulu. Don't worry about asking lots of questions.....I'm a novice and I ask more questions than anyone! I may even drive people potty with the amount I ask lol. Lovely, very helpful people here....enjoy the forum  :flower: