The Sewing Place

Look at what I just made!

Marniesews

Re: Look at what I just made!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 03:30:39 AM »
That's lovely OakMaiden.  :)  :D  0_0 I'm another fan of the colour too and I think the floatiness of the skirt is really pretty although I understand why it needs to be held together with tacks for performance. Will you be adding any embellishments?

I'm rather pleased that our ballroom & latin juveniles (under 12) aren't allowed embellishments like stoning for competitions. Of course, they can wear whatever for shows but lots of parents just can't afford many different outfits. Are there similar regulations for ballet?

I've got a couple of adult dresses coming up in a few months with big net ballroom skirts but it's much softer floaty stuff so very different technique although I won't feel that lucky when I'm trying to cut lots of 200cm circles out of 300cm wide net!!!  -<
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Snippet

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 11:24:37 AM »
Oh wow!! That's beautiful  :flower:

Well done you, you should be very proud of yourself!

Lollipop

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 20:05:08 PM »
Your dressform has an amazing six pack Oakmaiden !
Was Sewnanny

Oakmaiden

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 22:55:03 PM »
Lollypop - I know!  It is an age 10-12 mannikin, but a very oddly shaped one...  Does the job, though!

Marniesews - there are no "rules" about ballet tutus in the same way there are for ballroom dresses, but the All England Dance Festival advises that simple is preferable to over-elaborate.  I have, however, bought a piece of embroidered lace I am going to use as an overskirt/plate, and I will probably add a few flowers to the bodice centre.  When I finally work out how to put the skirt bit on neatly.

Oakmaiden

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 23:07:00 PM »
Right - I have decorated it now.  I am happy with how it looks, but somehow, in the course of my tacking it and putting on the decoration, it seems to have gone even more bell shaped.  I am not certain why...  I guess either I need stiffer net (this was 27g - the only stiffer one I could find was white only), to use more net in my layers, or to tack more tightly.  Or maybe a combination.

Anyway.  I still think it looks really pretty, so I am happy as a first try.

NeilM

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 00:54:30 AM »
Looks Awesome!

Lantana

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 15:49:38 PM »
I'm impressed. It looks lovely!

L :vintage:

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 08:09:43 AM »
I can't see any problem with the shape at all Oakmaden....but then I'm not a ballerina, desperate to flash her knickers!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Snowgoose

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 09:25:18 AM »
Beautiful!  Whoever the young lady who will wear this is, is very very lucky!   :)