The Sewing Place

To service or not to service, that is the question

sewingj

To service or not to service, that is the question
« on: March 27, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »
I`ve got a 3 year old fairly basic Janome which has never been serviced and is working perfectly well but it has been doing quite a lot of work recently.   Some sewing bloggers reckon they get their machines serviced annually (eg Colleen G Lea)- I`m just wondering what most `normal` sewers do.

(Must admit that my natural inclination is to wait until something goes wrong)

Greybird

Re: To service or not to service, that is the question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 11:14:12 AM »
I have never had a machine just serviced. I do the general maintenance and cleaning as per the instruction book and it goes to the repairers if anything goes wrong - I think 3 visits for 2 machines.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
I defluff my machine regularly taking off the needle plate but that's all.  There isn't anything that the manual tells me to oil but I would if there was.  Apart from that I've never taken a machine to be serviced.  I probably would if it was getting heavy use every day.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »
Never really have any serviced.. just clean and oil where necessary.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »
Mines 4 years old and I have had it services once, that was because after I had cleaned it it was playing up and I assumed I had not put it together property or knocked something I shouldn't. It's been great since. Not planning another service unless I use it loads or it feels "off".
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 13:06:06 PM »
I took my little family of machines in to be serviced recently (the 1970s Jones machine had a problem but the others were fine). I think servicing a sewing machine once every five years or so is quite reasonable. After all they have moving parts and we do use them a lot. Also servicing is not expensive - I think I paid £30 or so each and now I know that the servicing guy comes to my local shop I'll bring them in again in a couple of years.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 15:46:13 PM »
The usual price I tend to see is around £65 per machine. I wonder if this is a north/south thing?

I've not had mine serviced recently but the overlockers, coverstitch and some of the sewing machines are mechanical and as long as they're sewing well (and you maintain them properly) I think that's not too bad. That said, the machines that stipulate 'no oiling needed' other than a few visible parts will have internal areas that need attention so I keep thinking I really should take my Pfaff P5 in at some point.

I have two old Bernina 1130s, one of which has lost its tacking stitch so they would benefit too. I'd normally take them one at a time to spread the cost but you've made me think to ask if there's a better rate for taking multiple machines.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 16:02:05 PM »
Thanks everyone - when I asked last year I was told the starting price for a service was £50 so I`m not inclined to have it done if it isn`t necessary.  Spurred on by you all, I have de-fluffed my machine this afternoon.  No mention of it needing oiling in the manual

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 17:10:24 PM »
I agree with the others, if you de-fluff and oil regularly and change the needle as soon as there's a hint of trouble then it should be fine.  Spend the money you save on more fabric.  :fabric: :fabric:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 17:12:00 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 18:02:23 PM »
I cannot defluff and clean out my machine as I can never put it back together properly  :| so I take it once a year to be service .... costs about £52 and I think a £ a week isn't bad
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Morgan

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 18:53:51 PM »
I`ve got a 3 year old fairly basic Janome which has never been serviced and is working perfectly well but it has been doing quite a lot of work recently.   Some sewing bloggers reckon they get their machines serviced annually (eg Colleen G Lea)- I`m just wondering what most `normal` sewers do.
(Must admit that my natural inclination is to wait until something goes wrong)

It's up to you and the reasons that make sense and matter to you. 

I have several machines, all are carefully looked after and maintained.
Some I have serviced periodically, others I've had for years and after an initial service they have been checked for electrical safety but not fully serviced.

The expensive sewing/embroidery computerised machines are the ones that are serviced periodically. They're not heavily used or hammered so it tends to be around 18 mths to 2 years. They are precision machines and with these I prefer to keep them in tip top condition rather than waiting for something to go wrong.  By the time we notice something wrong, the wear and tear could have affected other parts. 

Computerised machines need a special lubricant on certain parts inside and that should be replaced now and again.  It's done (or should be) when the machine is serviced.  Also, most computerised machines have some self-lubricating bearings inside and it's helpful to run the machines at least every 6-8 weeks to keep the lubricant moving, avoid it settling or drying up and getting crusty at the edges.  Even if they're having a break from sewing for a few months, it's sensible to just to run them fairly regularly for a few minutes at a time.

Mocarroll

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 19:03:53 PM »
I have a Brother Innovis 1250 Sewing/embroidery machine which I’ve had for about 2 years. I probably use it 2 or 3 times a week, mainly for clothes sewing. It has a stitch counter, is there a recommended stitch count before it’s serviced? My local shop doesn’t service computerised machines so I’d have to travel a bit to the nearest agent. Any idea about cost?
I’m loath to say it’s working perfectly (tempting fate!) but I do clean and de-fluff and change needles regularly.

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 21:08:31 PM »
I have all my machines serviced annually now even if I haven't used them.  I started doing this because the one I used most broke down and cost me more to have it put right than it did to actually buy it in the first place.  I thought I was servicing the ones I used properly but there was all sorts going on I couldn't detect. Lesson learned.

arrow

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 23:03:07 PM »
Lightly but regularly used machines should stand up to 3 years. I don's see any need for grease points to be tented to more often, synthetic greases last very well. I don't know much about computerised machines, they seem to be clipped together, usually a solid aluminum inner chassis and very light weight parts. A lot of plastic that will run fine with out any lubrication at all. A lot of them are treated with some kind of lubrication. I don't know if sintered gears and bearings are that common anymore, they are said to be liftime lubrication free, or maintantance free. It's not completely true, and some recommend a particular stable and durable oil to be applied every few years. A lot of machines seem to be sort of clipped together and the parts doesn't run as tightly as some. They are more like a typewriter, and will move just as long as they are clean. I actually suspect machines in the £150 to $250 range is not really made to be taken in for repairs and full service, but they obviously can be. Some do a much more thorough service than others, and some are much better with particular brands than others. Trouble shooting and checking the computerised part is not easily done, only a few can. This part will usually not be done unless you ask for it particularly.

I have had my old Bernina in for a service. They will tend to the motor and fine tuning I might not be able to. I don't think I will hand in an old straigt stitcher, since there's a lot of expert info and advice available these days. It's well worth it though, full rewiring and trouble shooting is a lot of work, you have to be up to it and have the time. A DIY fixup takes a lot longer than an expert with a work shop.

For those who keep a mechanical machine, or vintage, we really should take time and sort out the basic. Most issues are about oiling, cleaning, and getting the needle in the right way. It can be a bit tricky, but usually its' not, just a bit cumbersome and time cosuming. A new bobbin tyre and motor belt isn't too much of a challenge either. They are meant to be taken care of by the owner, and it get's easy once we have done it a few times. A service guy will sometimes give you all the good tips and show you how to do it right. Not many talk to their customers today, we often just hand it in and pick it up.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 14:20:16 PM »
I would definitely have the machine serviced.  Every two to three years is recommended.  You may be able to de fluff and oil the machine if it is recommended but there are bearings and cogs inside that need attention that you can't/ shouldn't get to.  A proper service will clear out all the fluff that gets into the works, (If you use cotton thread it can leave behind a lot of lint in the machine.). relevant parts greased, oiled etc and all the timings and clearances out back to where they should be.  You should notice a difference in the way the machine runs if it has been doing a lot of work.