The Sewing Place

Fit right side out, sew inside out!

sewingj

Fit right side out, sew inside out!
« on: March 27, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »
I might not explain this very well! If you try on a garment right side out and pin it to get the fit right - is there a trick to then transferring the pinned line to the inside for sewing?

I`ve done it after a fashion in the past with my blue water soluble marker but the top I`m making at the moment is dark blue so the marker doesn`t show up. 

Efemera

Re: Fit right side out, sew inside out!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 12:22:49 PM »
I just take it off with the pins in, turn it through and pin over the pins then take out the original pins...if that makes sense.

crafter

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 14:07:08 PM »
You could use Tailor's chalk instead of the marker.  It comes in lots of colours.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 14:35:47 PM »
I'd recommend it's just easier to pin with the garment wrong side out than try to worry about transferring those pins. Pin to fit with wrong side out, then tack the new lines so you can try it on properly.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 15:58:03 PM »
I saw a Marcie Tilton demo somewhere, and she said always have the right side out in case you are somewhat asymmetrical.

Then on the inside rub tailors chalk on around the pins so you can transfer the pins to the inside.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 15:59:57 PM »
I'd say it depends what you're sewing and which bit of it as bodies aren't perfectly symmetrical, like lots of people I have one shoulder visibly higher than the other.  Certainly it's not ideal if you're fitting princess seams as we're often different there too. You'll frequently get away with it if it's not a closely fitted garment but there's nothing worse than doing lots of careful fitting and then discovering it mysteriously still doesn't seem right.  >:)

What I do with dark stuff is use safety pins, turn inside out and pull open up the fabric so you can run a piece of tailor's chalk closely between the two layers. With a thicker fabric that may lie a little outside the actually pinning so take note to sew to the inside of the mark.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 16:57:43 PM »
Thanks everyone.
  The garment in question is a top for my daughter made of a lightish weight viscose jersey with quite a bit of stretch.  Most of it is loose fitting but the problem area is round the armholes as the pattern is for short sleeves and she wants me to see if it can be sleeveless.  She is very much a plus-size young woman so there are a lot of lumps and bumps to account for!  (I`m not looking forward to it)  (Also, she doesn`t live nearby so there can`t be many fitting sessions)

It might well be that the armhole (already cut out) is too big for a sleeveless garment.  I will discover on Friday when I see her

Stitches

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 18:02:14 PM »
I fit right side out ,take off with pins attached and do tailor tacks then turn wrong side out redo seams to new markings

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 14:08:16 PM »
I always fit right side out as well in case someone is asymmetrical. 
With regard to the armhole being too low for a sleeveless garment, you could always add a piece under the arm. I've done this before and it doesn't really show.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 05:41:30 AM »
I always fit right side out as well in case someone is asymmetrical. 
With regard to the armhole being too low for a sleeveless garment, you could always add a piece under the arm. I've done this before and it doesn't really show.
I do the same, but if the arm hole is too low, can you take it up at the shoulder seam, then alter the neckline if necessary???