The Sewing Place

UK Spartan (singer)

Roger

UK Spartan (singer)
« on: March 28, 2018, 13:25:24 PM »
I picked up a Spartan the other day... I’m a little mystified, it’s definitely a Spartan not a 99 (it ses Spartan on it and has the bobbin lifter.

But it’s got a UK motor but in the style of a Spartan and traditional 2 button pedal rather than the US one... and the plug and wiring is all 1960s... any of you guys encountered a UK Spartan?
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

elephun

Re: UK Spartan (singer)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 15:49:45 PM »
I’ve got a Singer 327K, which sounds like what you describe. I can’t easily add links right now, but I’ve seen pictures of some machines that I think are 327s marked Spartan.

elephun

Roger

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 16:09:27 PM »
Mine is a bit more black and 99 shaped

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

elephun

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 16:30:04 PM »
Oh, cute!

Is it a 192?  Link to 192 instructions

Roger

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 16:48:12 PM »
Thank you for a link to the instructions! I think it is a 192... I didn’t expect to see one here, don’t seem to be masses of them in the states either

arrow

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 20:58:17 PM »
On US forums the Spartans often have 192K on the plate behind the stitch length lever. If I'm right they were made from 1958 to 1961 at the Kilbowie factory. I haven't found any info on US made Spartans or any other factory. It looks like quite a few made it's way to the US.

I think it's close to the later 99 with stitch length lever, but with out gold decals and the bobbin winder isn't the click-in-place and auto release type. The button pedal can in theory be a later replacement, but it's just a guess. Is the brown carboard box for the Spartan accessories?

I'm just repeating what I have picked up previously on this model. It looks like 99K is more common in my area, both the early and later submodel.

How does it look under the base? The bobbin case on a 99K has a lever you lift up and towards you to be taken out for cleaning and oiling. A 99 has very solid rods and metal parts under the base, and when clean and oiled it runs very light and smoothly. It's better than it's reputation, and it's only when it's pushed beyond it's limits it starts to get noisy. I assume the Spartan is much the same. Have you had time to test sewed yet? :- )

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 21:06:36 PM by arrow »

Roger

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 21:13:13 PM »
Its definitely a 192k its on the top of the stitch length plate very small! I hadnt noticed it there, thanks for the pointer Arrow.

The little box is a box of 99k accessories I thought I'd put with it as they dont look out of place and the 99 is a close relative.

I haven't been able to find anything about one in the UK, and on ebay they sell for a fair bit but again I haven't seen on in the UK, which seems odd as they are a UK built machine, but 99ks are 2 a penny (regardless of how rare and industrial ebay sellers make them out to be :)  )

arrow

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 22:38:36 PM »
The poor 99 is very underestimated. It must be partly because of the 3/4 size and partly because it became popular enough for plenty to be made in large numbers; mostly because there's always a few up for sale, and not many buyers who what to spend much on it. In a cabinet this small machine is very nice to work on, I promise, but the 3/4 size is both and advantage and a disadvantage. It would not be that cheap if it was made and sold today. Mine is in a bentwood case. 

I like my 201 mostly for it's full size, when maneuvering larger pieces of fabric like a coat or a jacket it make it easier. You can always manage on a 99. It all depends on the sewing, making shirts and hemming jeans are just as easy on a 99 as on a 201. My 99 is faster for some reason, just as much punch in the needle stroke and I have recently discovered it runs lighter than my 201. I suspect the meshing gears on a 201 needs a bit more effort to turn the mechanism. I guess most of us go for a full size straight stitcher when we need one. Most don't seem to bother much about them, or know about their advantages. I assume it will be much the same to work on a Spartan as a 99. It's when we need a low priced work horse that does most jobs with out complaining we go for the  vintage machines. Some times for the look and fun too ;- )

The current value of a Spartan is a bit odd since it's described as a slighly simpler version of the 99. It might be the compact case it's in, it makes it even handier for storage and moving around. They are much fewer in number, but not exactly a rare thing. I come to think of the 99K on ebay, bidding priced set to £999. There might be one advantage though, it looks like some of them were set up with a slightly stronger motor, if it's true it's at least something. On some pictures it looks like there is screw hole for a light bracket.

I'm talking too much again. There is a current thread on the quilting forum on a Spartan someone dug out of storage.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 00:00:03 AM by arrow »