The Sewing Place

Hello from south west UK

Celia

Re: Hello from south west UK
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 23:24:25 PM »
Thank you everyone for the welcome, I am happy to help with embroidery and software problems if I can, I am sure I will be asking questions of lots of you too.  I live about 40 miles outside of London and am really more central than South West but I do tend to travel more towards the west.
My main problem is finding the time, the inspiration and the energy all at once when it comes to sewing, hopefully I will find some great inspiration here but I might loose some time as I will be busy reading lots of posts.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 23:33:48 PM »
Celia! You're here now. Yay! I've been missing you over at SG. There is lots to read here. I think you'll really like it. Glad to be able to visit with you again.  :drink: :cake: :flower:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 23:43:32 PM »
Here's a map of the counties of Britain.

And here's a link to a definition of the South-East of England, which says:  "South East England is the most populous of the nine official regions of England ... It consists of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Kent, Oxfordshire, Surrey and West Sussex." 

(Sorry, but I had to do something to stop myself from banging my head on the wall.   :P )
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lyn-J

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 02:07:20 AM »
Hi Celia, Welcome!

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
Hi Celia, and welcome.

As the map shows you are central to south east England, but I can understand that you prefer to travel towards the west and away from London.  We are  about 40 miles to the other side of London and any 'days out' are usually eastwards, away from the metropolis, though sadly  to get to most parts of the country a trip around part of the M25 is a necessity.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
Believe me @Celia as someone who lives 10 miles from Land's End..... Surrey is definitely in the south east!!! :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

MrIminei

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 13:49:31 PM »
I think you're all being pedants and if Celia says Surrey is in the South West then it is  :P

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 14:01:00 PM »
It must be very exciting being on a boat with you!!   :P  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lyn-J

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 14:48:20 PM »
Surrey is South West of London!

MrIminei

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 16:17:33 PM »
It must be very exciting being on a boat with you!!   :P  ;)

Not as exciting as being in a plane I'm flying! (& why do you think I chose Cap'n Jack for an Avatar!)

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 18:50:30 PM »
Bristol ( generally considered to be in the SW ) is actually nearer to Southend (east / south east ) than it is to lands End ( proper south west  :P )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

MrIminei

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 21:20:04 PM »
Actually I've found evidence to suggest that Surrey is not in the SW. Neither is W Sussex, E Sussex, Berks, Hants, Wilts, Somerset, Devon or Cornwall. Obviously Dorset should be an independent state. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SW_postcode_area

Celia

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 22:45:12 PM »
Actually just to make things interesting I am only just in Surrey by a few metres, I know I am officially in the South East but somehow seemed to type South west, You are right Lynn,  when driving home from London. I drive South West so that is what it feels like.

Forgot to say my other interests include Machine knitting and weaving.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 22:47:41 PM by Celia »

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 14:33:39 PM »
Bristol ( generally considered to be in the SW ) is actually nearer to Southend (east / south east ) than it is to lands End ( proper south west  :P )

Naah!  Southend is to the north!  It's just across the River Thames, if the house behind ours wasn't there I could see it from the bedroom windows which face north east.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 11:18:21 AM »
Actually I've found evidence to suggest that Surrey is not in the SW. Neither is W Sussex, E Sussex, Berks, Hants, Wilts, Somerset, Devon or Cornwall. Obviously Dorset should be an independent state. 

Dorset should revert to Wessex and whatever that incorporated ....

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:21:51 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again