The Sewing Place

Sewalong suggestions and ideas?

Francesca

Sewalong suggestions and ideas?
« on: March 14, 2017, 19:59:20 PM »
Hey everyone! Thought I'd start this thread so we can start brainstorming ideas for sewalongs.

I had an idea for one that might be a bit controversial...

Pick My Project - you present a few different projects (pattern + fabric, or idea + fabric) to everyone else, say three projects, and everyone puts their word in to say which you should pick. The project that most people think you should do then commences about two weeks after the discussion.

Essentially it might push you to sew a project that you have been putting off for whatever reason but need a nudge to get on with... thoughts?

Swisslass

Re: Sewalong suggestions and ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 20:49:48 PM »
Sew your most precious piece of fabric .... (you CAN do it!)

Sew that piece of fabric that you love but haven't a clue what to do with it/or why you bought it
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Didi

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 20:56:50 PM »
I like the idea of everyone doing the same thing, the variations would be interesting. How about pick a garment type with a few conditions so it could be say trousers with a zip and pockets, or a long sleeve top with cuffs or something with bound buttonholes then people could pick a pattern that suited them whilst still keeping a general theme and maybe even getting some of us to try something we have shied away from and it could be interesting to see what everyone comes up with

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 22:05:44 PM »
I like Didi's suggestion - all doing something with the same theme.

Other themes could be matching checks/stripes, main pieces cut on the bias, a fully lined garment.....
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 23:12:14 PM »
Sew your most precious piece of fabric .... (you CAN do it!)

Sew that piece of fabric that you love but haven't a clue what to do with it/or why you bought it

I love the Precious idea! But I think it would have to be a 6-weeker to let everyone get over the initial panic and cut the damn stuff!  :snip:

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 23:13:51 PM »
I like the idea of everyone doing the same thing, the variations would be interesting. How about pick a garment type with a few conditions so it could be say trousers with a zip and pockets, or a long sleeve top with cuffs or something with bound buttonholes then people could pick a pattern that suited them whilst still keeping a general theme and maybe even getting some of us to try something we have shied away from and it could be interesting to see what everyone comes up with

What about a t-shirt? I like the idea of trousers but I know a lot of people won't go near sewing them whereas I think most people are OK with tops.

T-shirt could be stretchy but could also be a plain shell-type top. Might be too easy though.

I have thought that come late summer I would like to do a coat sewalong to get all our butts kicked into gear to sew those winter coats!

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 23:20:00 PM »
My most precious piece of fabric is good but I think even longer than six weeks would be needed.

I can't see me joining in with a sew the same thing comp as I don't have time to sew what I want to do as it is.

How about finishing your unfinished objects.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 06:46:27 AM »
I like extending the 'sew something white' game.  A different colour each month? 
Sew stripes/spots/florals. 
Colour blocking. 
Clash [any interpretation from clashing colours to 'mismatched' shapes would work here]
Phobia [ mine used to be buttonholes, now it's welts]
Picking up from Sewing Bee, how about 'International' themes?  Our own interpretations of 'French/Japanese/African/ etc
Inspired by a favourite film/TV programme [bring on your Downtons ladies]
C'est moi!