The Sewing Place

Tracing Wheel

Lizzy777

Re: Tracing Wheel
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »
Ah that would be great, thank you so much! Really lovely of you x

I was going to make the point that if I marked top and bottom of the pin tuck, on this particular pattern I wouldn't be able to just draw the line inbetween because it's on a curve.....a princess seam shape. Well an experienced person might but I'm not so.....

Vezelay

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 12:15:55 PM »
Lots of Youtube videos about tracing wheels - varied views on what the different types are used for but overall it seems the spiky ones are preferred. I own both kinds but had forgotten how to use them, so I'm grateful to Lolli for bringing this topic up. Now I know! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHVZdOjqhI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3-IqXESBz4

Incidentally I bought the spiky one after seeing it used in a Craftsy class on cloning RTW. I think they were transferring seamline markings from clothes onto pattern paper - so the opposite way round.

Vezelay

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 12:34:16 PM »
And I see Clover do a double tracing wheel so you can add the seamline when tracing those patterns that don't have seam allowances.

Lolli

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »
It's not that difficult really. Little practice and it will be fine. You can get a curve ruler later on when you can afford too as well?

lizzy

I didn't even know they existed! Flippin eck I've got a lot to learn lol

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 14:00:33 PM »
Dressmakers tracing wheel and dressmakers carbon paper was brought out precisely for it to be used in transferring pattern markings onto fabric.
Yes, indeed, and I have a wheel that I bought nearly 30 years' ago, but modern carbon transfer paper is just not up to the job of transferring the pattern to the fabric and I have given up on the search. 

Elnnina

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 15:35:51 PM »
I have a nifty little gadget by Prym called Parallel tracing wheel – I still have the packaging and the number on the top left of the card is 610 943.

The diagram on the card shows a pattern that has no seam allowance, and with this gadget there is a chalk filled container that looks like a flattened egg, and in the pointed end there is a very fine serrated metal wheel, then there is another piece that fastens on that has a moveable part so you can choose the width of the seam allowance you want between 1.5cm – 2.5cm so part of this follows the edge of your pattern paper or card  and then the part with the chalk draws a line on your fabric.  Quite expensive from what I recall, and have just looked on Amazon and there is a clear photo of the product.  There is an extra part that goes over the flattened egg part to stop the chalk from coming out.

Obviously if you wanted to mark your stitching line once the fabric has been cut out, then you just turn it around so that the serrated wheel will draw a chalk line where you want it to be.

Hope this helps.

Hachi

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 23:04:57 PM »
@Francesca & @Lizzy777
I think you guys are talking about 2 different tracing wheels, made for 2 different purposes.

The one Fran is mentioning is the needlepoint tracing wheel, which is used for pattern making, which is NOT used with carbon paper:

And the one Lizzy is talking about is the tracing wheel to be used WITH carbon paper:

Talking about marking tools, I also use a hera marker. It's traditionally used for Japanese kimono making but I think these days it's also common among quilters in the Western world too. Mine is from elementary school home ec sewing kit so 30 years old...

UttaRetch

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
I have both of those wheels.  The second one is from aforesaid 30 years' ago.  The spiked is a more recent purchase.

BrendaP

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 11:01:57 AM »
I have a wheel from way back and a packet of waxy 'carbon' paper which cost 3/- so early seventies at the latest!  Both colours of the paper, white and orange, have been used a little but I'm always wary of using coloured chalks etc in case the colour doesn't come out.  I'm more of a tailors' tack person.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Morgan

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 11:17:42 AM »
to complete the tracing wheel listings -

Mostly I use one of   these Clover Tracing Wheels  for both pattern making and marking fabric.  I use it a lot with waxed transfer paper for tracing off and for marking reference marks on toiles and use other methods for marking fabric for the real thing.  The clover wheel is not as aggressive as the spiked tracing wheel and doesn't leave a trail of spike holes in my cardboard cutting board.  I tend to use the spiked one if I'm marking onto something like card but it's rare.  I tend to use it as a single tracing wheel, but it can be used for tracing and marking seam allowance at the same time in one pass.

Sewingsue

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
Morgan, do you have a recommendation for the best transfer paper?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 13:50:11 PM »
If making 'posh' frocks it's used to mark all seamlines, darts etc on the underlining and that way there's no marks made on the fashion fabric.