The Sewing Place

Husqvarna Practcica II 52 30 - self oiling!

LeilaMay

Husqvarna Practcica II 52 30 - self oiling!
« on: March 29, 2018, 12:03:13 PM »
So from freecycle - a new machine to play with  :loveit:
This is one of the "self oiling" models - from the leaflet that Brenda posted - it was a 1971 model.

Trouble is this one is totally seized! The self-oiling function has ceased to work I guess, after years of being stationary, and I've no idea how to proceed.

I have put a plea in to the Husqvarna group on yahoo - until then I'm just staring at it, and wondering how to make space on the table for the THREE different machines I have in pieces at the moment!

Picture to follow I hope
Leila

LeilaMay

Re: Husqvarna Practcica II 52 30 - self oiling!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
Sorry, don't seem to able to attach photos from my computer, you'll just have to imagine the loveliness until I can figure that out  . . .

arrow

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
As far as I know, Husqvarna used sintered gears on all their self oiling modoels, which means porous metal gears treated with a particularly stable and durable oil. It was adviced never to add white spirit, oil or grease to these gears, but as the years go by they need to be retreated with the same type of oil. It's a bit heavier than regular sewing machine oil, and not just any motor oil will do since they tend to be full of additives not ideal for these gears.

What you can do is disregard the original advice, clean best you can and add a bit of white spirit to all gears, to loosen up old oil. There was someone who tracked down a service manual for a Pfaff with this type of gears, and the manual insisted only on adding either HLP 80 or HLP 46 oil. I don't think this exact brand and name exist anymore, but there are equivalents available. We might just be a bit too careful with sintered gears because the sewing machine companies insisted never to oil or grease them ( sometimes with an exlamation mark and warning triangle). Any pure oil about SAE20 is probably right for these gears and any basic oil will be better than completely dry gears. Using a lighter oil can ruin the self oiling properties and you might have to stick to oiling regularly in stead. If you get the right kind of oil it will make the machine self oiling again.

Either way, the reason for a seized machine is often thread in the bobbin area, clean around the hook, race and feed dogs. Thread or pin caught some where is of course a common problem.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 13:10:46 PM by arrow »

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »
Thanks for this Arrow - much appreciated.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 13:22:31 PM »
I assume the model number is 5230, and I know there's a lot of similarities between Husqvarna models in the 5000-6000 numbers, even the earlier once too. There's a very good chance the tips on how to fix various Husqvarna models on youtube and blogs will be the same on yours. A classic with these is stuck reverse button and it's almost always the same procedure, cleanign, oiling, hair dryer, maybe a spray can oil, wiggeling, and more oil. There's info to be found on these models. Some like them for the stretchy stitches, since there's hardly any all metal models with these type of stitches.

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »
Here's the machine - it's in the queue to get looked at, although I do believe I'm rather out of my depth with this one.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 16:30:17 PM »
Was this the link?
https://www.ehow.com/how_6495407_oil-husqvarna-viking-sewing-machine.html

I believe that all the self-oiling Husqvarnas use plastic bobbins; pale green or watercolours.  The older mechanical machines take metal bobbins.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 16:45:11 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 16:45:59 PM »
The leaflet showing vintage Husqvarna machines is
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1923.0.html
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 09:25:28 AM »
Well I've managed to discover where in the machine the seized section is - so some very slow progress  :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
Prepare to be amazed! It moves :)
This has nothing to do with my skill, and everything to do with Husqvana engineering I think. I've been scraping out old grease that had been applied to the metal/plastic gears (WHY???!!!) and chipping and soaking off old oil that was solid on a lot of the shafts and moving points.
I've used tri-flow (recommended on the Husqvana group) and lots of directed heat (hair dryer) and lots of turning it over by hand.

The last sticking point is the pattern cam follower, but I'm getting there.Feeling quite chuffed about this one  :sew:

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 09:41:51 AM »
Well done LM!!  What an achievement!  It's a great feeling getting one of these old girls to wiggle a bit.  My 611g was a bit like that, now it's one of my favourite machines.

Look forward to seeing pics when she's fully working!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 18:09:05 PM »
 :'(
I take it back - although all the parts move now, there is some serious issue with the bobbin race and timing - this might prove the last straw!

arrow

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 19:57:04 PM »
There might be some info on the timing some where, I have a vague memory of watching or reading something about it. If the gears are clogged with old grease and oil, you might as well go for white spirit. I'm not sure the plastic gears will like it, maybe WD-40 or CRC 5-56 is safer on plastic. In theory they should stand up to it, but old plastic can go weak, depending on the plasticisers and addives used.

LeilaMay

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 11:12:47 AM »
Oh yes, I have the 180 page technical briefing, and the associated service manuals. The trouble is Husqvarnas were never meant to be "tinkered" with - they assumed you'd never even take the cover off this one, it has no oil points even. You were supposed to brush the fluff out - or send it to a Husqvarna engineer  :(
The engineering is superb, but they are so hard to repair unless all they need is cleaning and lubrication - I don't think I'll take on one again.

I have isolated the fault area, but it's impossible for me to repair.

arrow

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »
Sorry to hear that. I know you need special tools to take appart the hook, race and bobbin case parts on the 19 and 21, but I thought the later ones were more manageable. Some of these Husqvarnas have nice stitch patterns, but I we only send in our favorites for service and repair because of the cost. The vintage Husqvarna yahoo group is the best place for help, maybe the only service guys that bother to answer. Very annoying, since this is a model there's belt replacement for.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:39:01 AM by arrow »