The Sewing Place

Yes, the show will go on

Catllar

Re: Yes, the show will go on
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 22:26:30 PM »
Went to a concert on Wednesday evening and saw one of the girls from the dance  group - Oh, said I, are you doing the end of year gala Sylvie, as I don't have your measurements yet"   Answer: " Might do, depends if anything else comes up. Make it anyway and if I come I come and if I don't , well that's no problem."  What, say I to myself - I am going to make her a costume and she might or might not deign to turn up???? I don't think so!"  So I said. " No Sylvie, that's a problem - I'll have made a costume for nothing. I'll have wasted my time"

GUESS WHAT SHE SAID!!!!!  " That's what you do."   I was speechless - is that how she sees me?  Jan's always there doing the sewing?  Don't know whether to laugh or cry!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 09:12:39 AM »
Now that's just plain rude!  :o

Did you give her a look? Or were you vocal?

Who does she think you are, the sewing dogsbody?

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:
Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lolli

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 16:14:59 PM »
Flippin eck, cheeky so and so!  :angry:

Lollipop

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 19:41:43 PM »
Oh my goodness, what an attitude!! Cocky young Mademoiselle!! ><
Was Sewnanny

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 22:59:16 PM »
Not even a youngster - old enough to know better. I was vocal, very vocal. I'm going to leave hers till last and may find I don't have enough fabric. That would be bad of me wouldn't it :[  ?
 I do ( as all we costumers do I'm sure) feel undervalued and repeatedly say why am I  doing this. Must be some sort of devil for punishment. :devil:

Bring on the fish.

Bowerbird

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 23:14:36 PM »
No, that would not be bad of you. If she can't commit then why should you. I have never been able to understand the thinking of people who always wait to see if there's a better offer, such rudeness, they deserve to be left out in the cold.

Sewingsue

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 07:40:45 AM »
No, that would not be bad of you. If she can't commit then why should you. I have never been able to understand the thinking of people who always wait to see if there's a better offer, such rudeness, they deserve to be left out in the cold.
Well said. If nothing else she should definitely be last on the list.

Anyway, no measurements = no costume.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 21:21:51 PM »
I am amazed you didn't explode!!  I think I would have. :angry:  It is definitely ok to leave hers until there is absolutely not enough spare fabric left to make another costume, so maybe she could drive down to your supplier and get more for hers, as you will be far to busy doing what you do, making the ****** things.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 19:57:01 PM »
Oh Catllar, how incredibly rude of her!  But there are always those who don't appreciate the time & effort required to sew that many costumes.  I would absolutely leave her costume until last - I have to admit that when I was costuming I would sew the more difficult/less appreciative dancers' costumes first if I was using a new pattern - I would work out any technical issues on their costumes :devil: - the later ones were always better.  Also, if you have need of larger heavier fish, I have whole, frozen Pacific salmon at your disposal.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 23:11:46 PM »
Bless you, MotN, would you mind putting it in the post? The weather is warming up nicely now. I've cut out all the tops and I do have enough for her, but I've put it all away.

Started on another group of 5 dresses - all red princess seam floor length jersey with 5 metre hems ,boat necks and a double sleeve - the inner sleeve is contrasting stretch lace and close fitting and the outer sleeve is red georgette pleated into the sleeve head and split down the top . The two sleeve layers are stitched into the under arm seam and then caught into a narrow cuff. This gives a lovely effect when the arm moves but as both sleeve layers are sewn into the under arm seam the layer stay put. Easy peasy :\ Some of them will have bobble fringe hems and some will have - err  don't know but I'll think of something :)

So the modifications done and they look gorgeous ( if I do say so myself) However  :angry: we chose to put a donut frill round the bottom in the same georgette fabric as the outer loose sleeve - red but hemmed and rolled in black and looks amazing but they've been on hangers for a few days and dropped. Got to shorten by a few inches. Sigh.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 18:34:29 PM by Catllar »

Catllar

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 22:28:21 PM »
Had to fit 18 children today. Pass the gin! :S :S :gin: :gin:

Yellowfeather

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 05:38:13 AM »
 :gin: :gin: :gin:  is three enough???

b15erk

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »
Hope the gin did its job Cat!  18 children to fit!  I only have to fit one, now and again, and it's like wrestling a bowl of jelly!!  :S

Look forward to seeing what come of the fittings.  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 22:29:46 PM »
Yes, 3's fine, thanks.

So tonight I had to fit 3 x 11 year olds. Using recycled dresses from last year. Had already tried them on the kids a month or so back but just to be on the safe side I thought I'd see if they'd grown ( they WILL keep doing that) and one of them had indeed grown so much she burst the zipper on her dress :| - which I'd already let out to the max. Now I have to franken-dress - god knows how, but I've another dress the same so I can use the fabric I guess from that one to insert somewhere on the exploded one.

Tried on prototype 3 for our lovely teenage group  (oh to be young and slender again) and finally got an OK from all involved. Just got to run them up  now - more recycling - need to unpick frills from 8 old dresses and re-fit them to these new skirt bases.

Catllar

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 21:21:15 PM »
Oh bugger and double bugger. Got to replace the zipper in the franken-dress after all. Managed to add 10 cms to it by putting an insert into the back - of course this meant the skirt junction needed 10cms added to that too - from a distance it looks OK but close up, total crap. However.... moving on.

Today I went to fit a group of adults 13 of them. All delighted with their tops except one who said " I don't like the seam on the bust - it's puckered ( yes it was a teen teeny bit but shite, they're on stage and miles from the audience.) so I said " Can you sew?" She said she could so I said ' fix it yourself then - Next!"   Blows my mind this attitude - after all they will wear these garment twice for 3 minutes - not asking them to wear them all summer, or even, god forbid, pay for them. I was cross.

Oh and the one who said she wasn't committing incase something better came up? Not coming - hooray.  Got one really odd top though - measurements are correct for the lady but can we do it up? can we heck, so I'm going to have to redo it. Trouble is I'm not sure what or where to alter it. Hmm.