The Sewing Place

Any knitters here?

Pearl

Re: Any knitters here?
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2017, 14:24:00 PM »
 Advice for tight knitting in this article https://www.flaxandtwine.com/2015/06/fixing-common-knitting-mistakes/ is:-

Drop your shoulders and take deep breaths.
Start on bigger needles in the beginning as they are easier to work with. Size 10 needles are great for beginners.
Bamboo or wood needles hold the yarn a bit better than metal needles, which are more slippery. Use wood needles to be less fearful of losing a whole needle-ful of hard-earned work.
Make sure, as you knit, that each stitch is going fully on to the fat part of the needle before you begin your next stitch. This practice will result in more even stitches and a more relaxed tension.

crooknees

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 16:49:11 PM »
Another knitter here. I was taught by the Mum of a school friend 50+ years ago. When my children were babies I learnt to love knitting 2 & 3ply. I still love those fine yarns, but there are very few modern patterns.
My biggest problem now is following the pattern. Something I never had a problem with years ago.
I gave all my straight pins away (Apart from the sets of 4/5 DPs.) and invested in interchangeable ones. Love these except for anything very narrow. I still get on much faster with a set of double point needles. Trying to knit gloves with the magic loop method ended in tears. Well nearly. :devil:

Snowbird

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2017, 20:33:29 PM »
Another knitter here  :wool:  Was taught by my mum and hated it ! But dabbled in my teens with waistcoats and then it came into its own when the children arrived. Not really got anyone to knit for now ...patiently waiting for Grandchildren to make an appearance !  :[

Tawny75

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2017, 15:37:15 PM »
Another one here too.  i love knitting socks and have taught myself to knit them two at a time on one long circular needle.  I find it very relaxing

ScarlettPoppy

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2017, 00:08:22 AM »
And me too! I also spin some of my yarns. I have just finished making 2 blankets for my friends daughter's new baby.
I love knitting socks and woolly cardy's/sweaters for myself. I have knitted tons for my 2 little granddaughters too.