The Sewing Place

Any knitters here?

b15erk

Any knitters here?
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:00:50 AM »
I'm knitting while I wait for my mojo to return, but it feels a bit lonely here atm  :-\

Any more knitters here?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

Re: Any knitters here?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
I haven't got anything on the needles at the moment (Knitting season is pretty much finished for me) but didn't want you to feel lonely.  I have 2 UFOs that I must complete - there's very little to do.  I have a second sock that has sat for a month just needing the last stitches grafted to close up the end - why do I keep putting that off??  I also have a Shetland Lace scarf that needs the first end I knitted grafting on to the rest of the scarf (I see a theme emerging here - I clearly avoid grafting)
Life's too short for ironing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:47:34 AM »
Last Spring I definitely had a knitting mojo and diligently made 9 scarves from some Sidar Kiko super chunky... for all my nieces and SIL's Christmas pressies.... now I'm a amateur knitter and thought I'd be inspired to knit the long sleeve version of this making it thigh length ... bought the wool... and its sat there ever since...I've now decided I'm unlikely to ever wear it if I knitted it as my knitting is so loose it'll end up huge so next plan is to knit it into squares and make a throw with  it ...... :-\
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:00:04 AM »
I'm quite addicted to knitting socks.

I bought some needles and a ball of Opal yarn which came with a basic pattern six or seven years ago whilst we were away for a few days and I havn't stopped since.  I like socks because they get done, I always do them in tandem using two sets of double point needles.

Not sure if the photo will attach yet - I've only just paid my subs - but I have developed my own 'go-to' pattern for socks.
It's shown here made from one 50 gms ball of Regia with a plain colur for the cuffs, heels and toes.

Instructions for making them are on my website
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/knitting/scrapbuster.htm
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 10:00:56 AM »
Yes!  the photo did attach :)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
Yes, I have returned to knitting after regarding it as the work of the devil in my youth - it took so long to make anything and I hadn't the patience.

However, now I find it provides occupation for the hands of an evening and, like sewing garments, you get what you want in the size you want and the colour you want, which is all good. I'd like to know how to adapt/resize patterns. Any good books around?

I tried socks, and didn't get on with them, but think I will have another go sometime.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
I tried a sock DOB, and so I know I can do it - but do I want to?

I'm on baby onesies atm, with number 2 on the needles.

Good tutorials on Youtube, Cheryl Brunette, and Very Pink Knits being favourites of mine.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 12:39:49 PM »
Yep another knitter here. I knit as a child and my grandmother at the age of 94 is still knitting away. I had stopped for a long while but when I was pregnant with my 2nd and 3rd kiddos I was too hugely pregnant to sew comfortably so I started again. Now I sew during the mornings when everyone is at school or preschool (not everyday but when I'm working on something) and at my class and in the evenings I knit in front of the telly.

My current project is a jumper that I just need to do the second sleeve for and on Saturday my favourite yarn shop is starting its spring KAL so I hope to start another jumper then (must finish sleeve before I start something new and shiny!!)
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 13:20:42 PM »
I knit a bit, but am not very accomplished as I knit too tightly.... so much so, that sometimes I can't transfer the stitches  :-\ Any suggestions gratefully received  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 13:27:38 PM »
I hadn't knit for years, then made a baby cardi, which inspired me to make myself a cardi - 2 years later I think I may have to finish it off on my newly acquired chunky knitting machine, it's only the front ribs and collar to do.  Hand knitting will now be forgotten about again, thank goodness.

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 16:53:04 PM »
I love knitting and, as you may know, I have been knitting a pair of socks for weeks now.  ;D

Didi

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 17:52:59 PM »
I'm a knitter - I can do it on the train going to work and at lunchtime at the moment I have an almost finished jumper and a just started jumper on the go. The plan this week is to finish the final sleeve on the nearly finished and block it
I just can't help myself starting something instead of first finishing what I have been doing

Pearl

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 18:54:27 PM »
I just can't help myself starting something instead of first finishing what I have been doing
Oh, this is me with sewing as well as knitting.   

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 19:45:44 PM »
I knit a bit, but am not very accomplished as I knit too tightly.... so much so, that sometimes I can't transfer the stitches  :-\ Any suggestions gratefully received  :)

My advice is a very large gin and a very small tonic and cast on with needles one or even two sizes larger than the ones in the pattern then knit the rest with the suggested size needles. :o

twopence

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 20:06:01 PM »
I knit mostly in the evenings and many of my jumpers.  I knitted a lovely aran hooded jacket for my partner's granddaughter as part of her Christmas present and hopefully have attached a picture.