The Sewing Place

Any knitters here?

SingingSinger

Re: Any knitters here?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 16:54:39 PM »
Have you tried toe-up on circular needles? No grafting and no sewing and you can try them on as you knit. If you weigh the yarn and divide equally there is no waste as you knit until yarn is used up.
I haven't managed to do 2 at a time toe-up yet so I have to "make" myself do the 2nd sock asap after finishing the first.

I haven't but I am very new to sock knitting (this is my first pair, still waiting to be sewn up!) I'm keen to make more though as they grow quickly and are very portable  :wool:
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Pearl

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 16:58:51 PM »
I hate sewing up too, SingingSinger.  I knitted my socks top down on 12" circulars so that I only had to graft the toes, using this pattern.  https://www.theknittingsquirrel.com/how-to-knit-your-first-sock-part-1/

Seagirl

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 21:31:50 PM »
Another keen knitter here. I've learned to love making socks (magic loop or small circular) -I love a project that can fit in a handbag. I'm trying to teach myself continental knitting as I have a large stash and could do with the extra speed. Like books, I have a few knitting projects on the go at the same time but have a few UFO'S which MUST be finished before I cast on anything new. I'm currently knitting a pair of 2 at a time socks which are never ending - I think elves are undoing them while I sleep.

Maximum

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 21:46:06 PM »
Hi Seagirl, I have tried 2at a time socks but got in a real muddle so gave up and just did one at a time!! I seemed to spend far too long trying to work out where I was and checking each sock so it seemed quicker to just get on and finish one. I do struggle to get the 2nd sock done though so if you have any pointers for 2AAT then please let me know!

Lowena

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 01:23:38 AM »
I'm fed up of my ultratight knitting.........which size needles would you recommend to help me overcome it?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 08:09:15 AM »
What yarn are you using & what size needles?  I'd be inclined to go up 0.5mm and see what it is like & if necessary go up another 0.5mm.
I know it's hard when you've (presumably) been knitting all your life but is there anything you can change about the way you tension the yarn in your right hand (if you are RHanded)  Do you actually know why your knitting ends up tight?
When I was very young my knitting used to be so tight that in the end I wouldn't be able to move the stitches along the needle and my mum would have to knit a few rows to rescue it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
That's what mine is like. That's why I haven't knitted for years
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Maximum

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »
Hi Lowena, the standard way to adjust tension in knitting is to use larger or smaller needles, but I'm sure you know that and in your case it won't help as you are wrapping the yarn so tightly around the needle it is in effect strangled and the stitches won't budge never mind have room to get the other needle in.
Are you tense yourself? When you concentrate on something do your shoulders get tight?
There are lots of different ways to knit so perhaps try another method and learn it like a new craft rather than try and unlearn what you currently know. There are lots of YouTube videos on knitting methods. Maybe have a go at a couple and see if it helps.
Most of us learn knitting as children when our hands are small and our patience limited so keeping stitches on the needles was achieved by pulling. I can still remember struggling with horrid bendy plastic kids needles and my hands were clammy and nothing went smoothly and then suddenly all the stitches fell off.
Recently I have been using interchangeables and a cord and apart from their portability I find it helps that the weight of the knitting is taken by my lap and I do not have to balance and manoeuvre long needles.
I'm having my kitchen gutted next week so how about me coming down and helping you rather than standing around in half a building site making endless cups of tea.  ;) :D
Don't give up

Lyn-J

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2017, 16:31:54 PM »
I will only knit if its with machines or tree trunks (needles greater than 8mm).
So many patterns, so little time.

Ivydene

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2017, 18:17:03 PM »
Another knitter here. I was taught by my mum and grandma and as a young woman always had some jumper or cardigan on the go. Once knitted a cable cricket sweater in 2 weeks - unemployed and it was Wimbledon fortnight. As time went on I developed arthritis in my right thumb and largely stopped knitting. Then about 5 years ago I discovered bamboo needles which were so much more comfortable. Then I got some interchangeable tips and thought I was set.  2 cardigans in and the left thumb has become so sore I cant manipulate the stitches again. Sighs. However I think I can still crochet so with some Rowan lace weight yarn I am determined to have a go at a lacey shawl.

maliw

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 19:28:02 PM »
I've had thumb problems to the point that I gave up knitting, I was considering having then injected until I remembered mum's magnetic bracelet. I put it on and within hours the pain had gone, I can now knit again and if the pain flairs up on goes the bracelet. I was sceptical at first but it beats injections any day.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

fajita

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 09:06:35 AM »
Re - the ultra tight knitting. Is it possible to knit somehow onto two needles held together, then you can extract one of them to knit with the other needle for your next row?

Mama likes to make

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 10:17:53 AM »
For the tight knitting what type of needles are you using? I can be a quite tight knitter and I find using metal circular with a good sharp lace point really helps. My favourite are the chiaogoo red lace ones. Nice and slick to keep the stitches moving and the point really helps putting the needle into the stitch.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Maximum

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 18:36:00 PM »
I've been thinking some more about tight knitting. If interchangeables were used it should be possible to create the stitches on a larger right hand needle and then change to a smaller left hand needle to knit them off. Does that make any sense or is my imagination running away with me? ;)

Sheilago

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »
I do a little knitting. I got back into it when a neighbour asked me to help knit for a community project ( knitted tepee!). After that the group continued to meet weekly, so I always need to have something on the go. Usually I do small things: socks , scarves, baby things. Also learned how to crochet from You tube.
I'm not keen on knitting for me as I find it so hard to get the size right. I knitted an Aran cardigan last year, but it is huge.