The Sewing Place

Which dressform?

Lilian

Which dressform?
« on: March 14, 2017, 20:07:43 PM »
I am looking to buy an adjustable dressform.  There are so many different ones, I don't know what to look for.  Any advice please?  :frock:
Willing but not always able :)

Kittensposies

Re: Which dressform?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 20:40:05 PM »
I have an Adjustoform Diana, as it was the closest match to my measurements.

It's mostly great - I love the body part itself and how adjustable it is, but find the stand a little flimsy. I tripped over it once and one of the feet cracked.

Also the pole height adjustment has a screw cap to hold it in place - this isn't strong so it slides down over time. Solved this by drilling through the pole and using a long bolt to hold it in place.

Haven't found a decent solution for the flimsy stand but other than that I like it!

Swisslass

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 20:46:11 PM »
I have an adjustable one - and I don't use it, it's currently in the basement as I was intending to put it on eBay when we drive over at Easter. I'll put some pictures up and list it in the for sale section if you or anyone else is interested. No clue which brand it is but it's royal blue.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 21:55:19 PM »
I have an adjustable one - and I don't use it, it's currently in the basement as I was intending to put it on eBay when we drive over at Easter. I'll put some pictures up and list it in the for sale section if you or anyone else is interested. No clue which brand it is but it's royal blue.

Thanks, I would be interested in seeing it. If it looks suitable I would probably buy  0_0

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 23:21:04 PM »
I have an Adjustoform Diana, as it was the closest match to my measurements.

It's mostly great - I love the body part itself and how adjustable it is, but find the stand a little flimsy. I tripped over it once and one of the feet cracked.

Also the pole height adjustment has a screw cap to hold it in place - this isn't strong so it slides down over time. Solved this by drilling through the pole and using a long bolt to hold it in place.

Haven't found a decent solution for the flimsy stand but other than that I like it!

Thank you for the info on the Diana, I was looking at that one as like yourself it seems to fit my measurements.  It certainly is the only one I found that would fit my needs.  I am quite handy around the house so may be able to sort out the flimsiness of the stand, if I get one 0_0

fajita

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 23:27:50 PM »
I got an Adjustaform Diana the Xmas before last. I'm happy with it, but I must admit I do very little dressmaking so it doesn't have an onerous life.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 16:47:46 PM »
I got mine in 1992 and it looked a bit like this one but with funny levers to change the size:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustoform-Dressmaker-Tailors-Dummy-Supafit-Deluxe-Dress-Form-2FSUD-M-/172583253624?hash=item282ec37678:g:T~IAAOSwSlBYzpNr

Trouble was, eventually I put on weight and couldn't bear to increase the sizing from the once size 12.  When I did try to change it a couple of years ago, the levers weren't very helpful and wouldn't extend.  I tend now to  drape stuff around it when it gets past the coat hanger phase or something I have left to come back later to.

The leg part is not very substantial but it has never got knocked over.  The newer ones seem to be have a wood base, which must be so much better.  I suppose given its age and the fact that it is still useful, buying the best now will  give you years of wear.  Mine was around £65 at the time.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 21:48:22 PM »
Gernella,thanks for the information.

That picture is the one I've been looking at.  I too have gained a little weight in my older years.  I thought that I could bulk it up by wrapping old sheeting or the like around the waist  >< as my waist has got a few inches more for my size.  They don't all have a wooden base but that is what I would want, I'm a clumsy one!  The price new is now around £125.  I think I will go for an Adjustaform as they do my size range.   0_0

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 08:40:19 AM »
There's a lot of information 'out there' about padding dressforms to replicate your true shape.  You can get stretchy covers that go over the padding.  One day someone might come up with one where you can gradually adjust the bust section southward :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 15:45:24 PM »
  One day someone might come up with one where you can gradually adjust the bust section southward :)

;) They already have! I am so lucky to have been bought one, by my lovely hubby, for my 'big' birthday last year, but they are ridiculously expensive. It's called Adjust-a-Bust from Morplan and they've been around for about 30 years, as my mum had one when she was in business. Unfortunately it was lost in a fire and I've hankered after one ever since.
As well as the bust going up and down, it also goes in and out. With a twist of the handle on the top, it can be altered from a size 8 to size 20 (dressmaking sizes, not rtw). She needs a bit of padding around the bust when she's in large mode but a bit of wadding does the trick. She also has 1 detachable arm and a removable 'mummy tummy'. She's invaluable for my alterations business, saving lots of time on manual size adjustments when I swap between garments of different sizes. She also likes posing for photos, although usually fully clothed  :|

Suzie  :vintage:
https://m.imgur.com/a/X4Y5R
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 16:02:54 PM by Sewsuzie »
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Sewsuzie

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 16:04:33 PM »
Sorry if you can't see the pic. Still getting my head round it  -<

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 00:30:05 AM »
I see the pic suzie, thanks for that it gave me a chuckle.  But it is what happens so good on them.  I am still looking....  :D

Lilian

Adjustoform Venus ?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 18:54:37 PM »
Does anybody have one of these?  I am going to look at one for sale locally and would like to know of any known problems to look out for as I have never owned a dress form before.

Puzzler

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 07:34:07 AM »
@Lilian, did you ever acquire a dress form? I realise this is an old thread.

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 08:42:29 AM »
@Puzzler yes I did