The Sewing Place

Can't see the birds for the trees

Gernella

Can't see the birds for the trees
« on: March 30, 2018, 15:03:25 PM »
I made this two years ago:

http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Vogue-9015.html

I loved the dressing gown that much that apart from when it got put away when it got colder, it never got ironed.  Washed in a morning, worn at night.  So thought I would make another one.  Spent £45 on some lovely lawn with apple blossom and birds on, cut it out to discover the birds were the wrong s****** way round on the branch.  I'd set the sleeve piece on one side to cut out later but I've cut them now the right way up as well as the belt.  I'd already decided to do the pockets differently so hopefully it wont be that noticeable at the  front although old eagle eye will see it and have a snigger.  I'll just not turn my back on him.

Daft part, I am usually so careful about  right and wrong ways, I think I was that eager to start  something else.  Must have been that flipping pigeon flying around Morrisons put the mockers on.

What I like about this is that the belt is fixed in so it doesn't shunt around all the time.   
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Greybird

Re: Can't see the birds for the trees
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 16:05:32 PM »
That's a really nice pattern @Gernella. I hadn't looked at it properly before but now I think I might buy it - with your recommendation! I like that it doesn't have a collar, I hate too much bulk around my neck. Look forward to seeing your finished garments.

Gernella

Re: Can't see the birds for the trees
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 11:59:11 AM »
I'm afraid I even made a mistake the first time made.  I looked at the shorter one when deciding on how much fabric.  It worked out well in the end though.  I bought some posh soft pink lining to go with the Liberty lawn and did around a 9 inch band round the bottom, then on the  sleeves I did the same to catch up on fabric.  It actually looked better with the plain contrast.  Funny thing is the lining fabric piece never looks like it's not been ironed. The lawn looks okay but some bits could do with ironing out occasionally, especially the belt pieces.

This time I'm changing the side pockets and putting on the front.  The fabric is so light that sometimes I had a job to find them.  It's the way that the belt is done that I like best of all, no slipping and sliding so you  finish up with more one end than the other and keep having to pull back.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included