The Sewing Place

Branded bobbins - important?

Bloobell

Branded bobbins - important?
« on: March 30, 2018, 17:30:48 PM »
I've just invested my inheritance from my Mum in a Janome MC6700P machine for my sewing business. I'm keeping my beloved 12 year old Brother NX600, as I'll still need a free arm every so often and to use some of the presser feet I've collected over the years.

Both machines use 11.5mm plastic bobbins. They're ever so slightly different, in terms of colour (Brother are pale blue, Janome are clear) and the Janome ones are made from slightly chunkier plastic. Ultimately though, they're effectively the same dimensions overall.

Out of curiousity - how important is it to use the "correct" branded bobbins in each machine?

I won't be risking my big investment for a few quid's worth of plastic, don't worry, I'm just wondering why it matters....I'm guessing it does, or the different types wouldn't exist.

mudcat

Re: Branded bobbins - important?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 18:04:21 PM »
I believe it would depend on the machine.  My Viking #1 won't accept the generic bobbins.  My previous cheaper machines of 20+ years ago did.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 19:19:08 PM »
I try to stick to the brands that go with the machines, I tried generic ones and although I can't say they damaged my machines I had quite a lot of tension problems with them.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 21:18:26 PM »
I bought a pack of generic bobbins for my Husqvarna; it said suitable for Viking Husqvarna on the pack but they are not the same and they do cause a few skipped stitches etc.

Compared to what a machine costs a pack of bobbins is peanuts, get the right ones.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 21:25:40 PM »
My Pfaff doesn't like anything but her own bobbins, and so I've never tried generic ones with my Husqvarna Viking.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

arrow

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 22:46:04 PM »
If they cause skipped stitches something is very wrong, not just slightly wrong. My old Bernina will stitch fine with 66 class bobbins, but the stitches isn't that even, particularly zigzag, and it's noisy. Generic bobbins aren't all the same, some might be fine. If they fit perfectly in the case, and turn as they should, I dont see why you shouldn't give them a chance? I aim for the right kind of bobbin, and anything else is when I'm forced to take a chance.

Bloobell

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »
I'm definitely going to stick with the correct branded bobbins.

I will admit I've tried, for about 3 inches worth of stitching, a Brother bobbin in the Janome machine, just to see if it would work. It certainly LOOKS like it would, and the tiny bit of stitching I did was indistinguishable from the Janome bobbin.

I'm not going to risk it though, not for a fiver's worth of new bobbins. I'm so pleased I'll be able to tell them apart though!

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 13:21:43 PM »
That machine looks truly scrumptious and yes I did the same when my mum died and mine has been really good buy (Pfaff Expression 2).  It will shortly reach 9 years old.

Janome always seem laid back where  bobbins are concerned but better not spoil the ship for a bit of tar.  Pfaff are very choosy, even with different machines.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Holly Berry

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 13:30:52 PM »
Even my two Husqvarna’s don’t take the same bobbins, I have a #1 and a Sapphire 930.

My vintage Singers, apart from my Featherweight, and NewHome (Janome) all take the same metal generic bobbins, the kind with the holes.

The generic ones seem to be ok with vertical races as opposed to drop in.

Procrastination get behind me

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 18:19:24 PM »
Yes it is important to use the right ones.  Sometimes they look similar but the depth or width can be ever so slightly different.  That can lead to skipped stitches, looping and at its worst, even damage the machine.  However,  if you out the two bobbins side by side and they appear to be the same depth you should be ok.  Did these all come with your machines or were some purchased separately?