The Sewing Place

Securing Patterns

Lulu

Securing Patterns
« on: March 31, 2018, 00:12:17 AM »
Just wondering what everybody uses when cutting out their patterns?

With a little one crawling around, I'm hoping to minimise the use of pins..so was thinking of trying fabric weights with a rotary cutter?

Renegade Sewist

Re: Securing Patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 00:24:19 AM »
Yes and no. Best to cut during nap time or bedtime when little one isn't there to distract you or grab your ankle and especially if like some ladies you cut on the floor. It's very easy to slip with a rotary cutter if you get distracted and divert your eyes. Avoiding pins is a good idea.  :pin: If you're able to sew on smooth flooring, tile, laminate, wood, etc. it's much easier to find any pins that drop while constructing. :pin: :pin: :pin:

My little ones are 4 footed and furry and I keep them elsewhere when I cut.  :meow: :ninja: :meow: I use a rotary cutter and weights, which on bigger pieces is just my other rulers. I love using the rotary cutter. I have some smaller ones for tighter curves and use little pointed scissors for tight inside corners.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

mudcat

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 00:49:36 AM »
I have used a rotary cutter with "weights" for years.  My weights tend to be my various rulers.  If you look in my last post (24Feb) in my Diary here you will see what I use. When I first started using the rotary cutter to cut out patterns I was not happy about it. I felt like I didn't have good control but after many years of doing it that way I wouldn't consider using scissors and pins ever again.

"weights"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 00:52:53 AM by mudcat »

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 07:03:35 AM »
Don't forget, @Lulu  that if you use a rotary cutter you will need a suitable surface for cutting on as you don't want to wreck your table or knacker your blade.  Large cutting mats are very expensive but someone may know of a suitable alternative to use.
With regard to pins, you can't avoid them completely when sewing.  I would recommend a magnetic pin dish (sorry, can't do links on Kindle).  It keeps the pins together if it ends up on the floor and you can do a sweep over the floor to find stray pins or needles.  For holding bits together when sewing Wonder Clips can be a useful alternative to pins.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 08:30:45 AM »
Never used a rotary cutter for patterns only for quilting. A good pair of scissors and pins. If it’s a simple pattern and jersey I’ll use whatever is at hand to weight the pieces down.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 08:51:50 AM »
For me a rotary cutter is more dangerous than pins around kids (or any distractions). My fingers and tablecloth have suffered enough when alone.

I have pins with big coloured flower heads so easy to spot when you drop them, also multiple pin cushions so there is always somewhere to stick them and not leave on the table.

You'll need pins anyway when making up.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 09:15:47 AM »
I use a rotary cutter and acrylic ruler for patchwork pieces, and for cutting a strip of binding, bias or straight, but for cutting out garment patterns then it's shears and scissors (Fiskars shears for the lighter fabrics and Ernest Wright scissors for the heavier stuff).

I do use pins, the type with a bobble end - glass is better than plastic if they happen to come into contact with a hot iron!  If it's a delicate fabric I try to keep them within the seam allowance, but honestly I can't see how the pattern doesn't move around if it's not pinned down.  The other advantage of pinning is that each piece stays with it's pattern piece until you are ready to use it.  A pile of cut put pieces of fabric with loose cut out pattern pieces is, IMO, just asking to get muddled up.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 17:50:23 PM »
I would recommend a magnetic pin dish
Don't forget to keep anything magnetic away from computerised machines.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 18:40:38 PM »
Always use pins and shears.  I don't understand this recent fad for using a rotary cutter for garments.  I like to keep the pieces with the pattern on till it's used same as @BrendaP.  That way it,s not going to go out of shape if it's delicate, keeps it stabilised. 

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 19:04:55 PM »
I nearly always use weights and shears, the only time I use pins is on little fiddly bits my weights are too big to use on.

jesster

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 19:22:15 PM »
I seem to use everything except weights.  Pins plus rotary cutter for larger pieces - I also like to keep the pattern piece with the fabric until I use it.  Plus, I find it easier to mark darts and dots and such when the pattern is still attached at several points. 
I use pins and scissors for smaller pieces or fiddly cut-outs.  I started using the rotary cutter for patterns soon after I bought it for quilting.  It just seemed to go so much faster than using shears.  Occasionally I'll use a quilting ruler with it for a long straight seam but freehand works quite well once you're used to it.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 19:34:23 PM »
I almost always use pdf patterns, so the paper is relatively stiff and I draw around the pattern with chalk or water soluble pen.  I hold the pattern down with anything that is lying around.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 20:10:25 PM »
I swear by a rotary cutter, weights and mat. Since I swapped to this method about 2 years ago I actually enjoy sewing so much more as the cutting stage no longer feels like a chore.

Exactly! It's actually more fun now. I like laying out and cutting the pattern more than the actual sewing. Always have. Plus I've got Carpal Tunnel both wrists and the rotary cutter, used correctly, puts a lot less physical stress on my wrists. So does using weights rather than pins.

As Ploshkin said a good mat is essential.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lyn-J

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 09:17:50 AM »
I started using brightly coloured plastic headed pins when my chldren arrived. So much easier to find when dropped. I got into the habit of closing a rotary cutter when I put it down. I've never got on with weights. Swooshing your sewing area with a magnet after each session might help pick up any strays.

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »
I swear by a rotary cutter, weights and mat. Since I swapped to this method about 2 years ago I actually enjoy sewing so much more as the cutting stage no longer feels like a chore.

Oh I so agree!  I'm truly left-handed so cutting out with even proper left handed shears was so difficult for me, I can't seem to cut on a straight line.  The rotary cutter was miraculous for me.  My hands also tends to seize up when using scissors and shears too much so again, a bonus.   I wouldn't be without my cutters now.