The Sewing Place

To hoop or not to hoop?

Lizzielogs

To hoop or not to hoop?
« on: March 31, 2018, 16:44:56 PM »
Hi guys and gals I'm an embroidery numpty and have had the luck to buy a Singer 9980 Quantum Stylist which has never even been out of the box or plugged in for £250. I  mostly make handbags and purses and just wanted another machine to go with my Janome and very rarely need embroidery stitches - if ever. Anyhow the Singer does a few varieties of text on the computerised panel my question is do I need to hoop the fabric to use those particular stitches on what in essence is a bog standard sewing machine or can I go it alone?
Also I might like to have a bash at free motion embroidery or applique sometime in the future or in the next life when I get round to it and I'm almost certain I would need a hoop for that - right??.
Thanks for your words of wisdom

Trudi x

Iminei

Re: To hoop or not to hoop?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 18:04:37 PM »
Oh @Celia .... we need your wisdom here ....

(told you  you would regret telling us what you do ....hahahahha  :devil:)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 18:53:35 PM »
Short answer is no :) you don't need a hoop for the built in stitches.  It would be a good idea to use an embroidery stabiliser like stitch and tear as you will be sewing on a single layer of fabric. 
For free motion stitching, some people use a hoop but again it's not necessary, depending on what it is.  Many quilters free machine quilt but don't use a hoop.  If you were doing free motion embroidery you might find it easier with a hoop.  Appliqué generally uses the feed dogs and various stitches on the machine. 

Lizzielogs

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 19:59:09 PM »
Short answer is no :) you don't need a hoop for the built in stitches.  It would be a good idea to use an embroidery stabiliser like stitch and tear as you will be sewing on a single layer of fabric. 
For free motion stitching, some people use a hoop but again it's not necessary, depending on what it is.  Many quilters free machine quilt but don't use a hoop.  If you were doing free motion embroidery you might find it easier with a hoop.  Appliqué generally uses the feed dogs and various stitches on the machine.

Epic! Thank you SO much for the reply x

Celia

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 23:28:24 PM »
Just so you know I read the post I agree with the advice you have been given.  I mainly use the machines that have separate embroidery units on them When teaching but I also love heirloom sewing (no expert) and your machine is great for a lot of the decorative stitching.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 07:35:11 AM »
Just so you know I read the post I agree with the advice you have been given.  I mainly use the machines that have separate embroidery units on them When teaching but I also love heirloom sewing (no expert) and your machine is great for a lot of the decorative stitching.

Thank you Celia (just off to Google 'Heirloom Sewing!!') I am loving the machine for my bags it is fast and does a really nice triple stitch for my purses!! I only bought it because of the price to be fair,  I have a computerised Brother which I hated but the Singer has made me tolerant of the Brother and we are now almost in love!

Thank you once again x

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 08:48:55 AM »
The Splurgess has a whole Heirloom section of stitches (Its actually called that!!) but I have no idea why or what they are for ?????

Thank you for butting into this one Celia, you do know you are going to be in hot demand on The Sewing Place don't you ??? So keep your eyes peeled for any callouts @Celia ....

I have Elvis, a Brother 450E that was an offer too good to refuse + software PES Plus ... which you would ythink is the full package but Oh No! Plus = Lite!!!!  :angry:

I've only really done labels with him so far but have grand ambitions but am finding the software hard to fathom (no proper tuts) but he does stitch beautifully when I finally get him going .....

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »
Here is a link to A lady who is an expert at heirloom stitching  https://www.paulineineson.co.uk/gallery/   I hope the link works as I am new to this site if not maybe google her name, she has a lovely book available on Amazon. 

Lizzielogs

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 17:55:55 PM »
The Splurgess has a whole Heirloom section of stitches (Its actually called that!!) but I have no idea why or what they are for ?????

Thank you for butting into this one Celia, you do know you are going to be in hot demand on The Sewing Place don't you ??? So keep your eyes peeled for any callouts @Celia ....

I have Elvis, a Brother 450E that was an offer too good to refuse + software PES Plus ... which you would ythink is the full package but Oh No! Plus = Lite!!!!  :angry:

I've only really done labels with him so far but have grand ambitions but am finding the software hard to fathom (no proper tuts) but he does stitch beautifully when I finally get him going .....

Nice stitching from Elvis Immi - I have to fight getting involved with embroidery as there are not enough hours in the day for me as it is and another thing to learn/ machine to buy would be JUST a step too far!
I only want to use the lettering for a rude sampler I want to make for a mate!  :devil: