The Sewing Place

Chalk marks

sewmuchmore

Chalk marks
« on: March 31, 2018, 18:03:46 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place, but can anyone help with how to get tailor chalk marks of the wrong side of waxed cotton?
I am not really a lover of tailor chalk as i never seem to have a great deal of success in getting it of any fabric but i decided to use black (please don't ask why, i am just stupid) chalk on red waxed cotton fabric and cannot get it off. I have tried brushing, rubbing, pencil rubber, soap and water and as a last resort a scrubbing brush and nothing will shift it. You can see the marks from the right side, most are within the seam allowance so i can get round them but i have a black line all around the coat about 4 inch up from the hem line. (long story as to why).
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ohsewsimple

Re: Chalk marks
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 18:46:56 PM »
Sorry I don't have a solution but just wondered why you have so much trouble with chalk.  Do you iron over it?

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 19:03:04 PM »
I can't offer a solution but I would be very careful you don't take the wax from the surface of the fabric whilst you are trying to remove the chalk.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 19:06:25 PM »
Sorry I don't have a solution but just wondered why you have so much trouble with chalk.  Do you iron over it?
Don't know why i struggle with chalk, i try not to use it too much 'cos i can never get rid of it. I never iron over it, or any other marker. I tend to use the air erasable pens normally but because i knew it would be a couple of days between marking and sewing i used chalk.
I wonder if it because it is old?

Janet

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 21:10:19 PM »
My original suggestion would have been to try lifting it with sellotape [the way you do for lily pollen stains] but as you've now wet it and scrubbed it etc I daresay it's there for good.  Any way you could place some trim over the line on the right side to make a 'design feature' out of it?
C'est moi!

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 22:15:15 PM »
Just a thought but would it vacuum off? Provided it is dry.
Willing but not always able :)

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 12:48:36 PM »
Maybe hairspray on a damp cloth?  That will take wax candle stains out of table tops and floors (don't ask).....

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 18:01:09 PM »

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 19:02:30 PM »
Have you tried this: https://oureverydaylife.com/how-to-remove-waxy-tailors-chalk-12546542.html
@Vezelay thanks for the link, i have now made up the coat and although the chalk mark is still there it is not too noticeable. I have now bought a water soluble pencil instead of chalk so hopefully won't have the problem again.

Janet