The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place's Project Linus Quilt Challenge

StitchinTime

Re: The Sewing Place's Project Linus Quilt Challenge
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 13:59:03 PM »
I think I might have to wait until I have had chance to check my stash before saying yes to this. I am trying to use up my stash and don't particularly want to have to buy more fabric if I didn't have enough of the colours assigned to me.

I'd be happy to keep to the colour limitations, but would quite like the option of being able to pick which two colours to use based on what I have to hand.

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 21:50:34 PM »
What are those thingmys on top of your bedheadhanging Brenda???

Lil Yetis??? Lil Owls???

and did you make them ???

Also you are a very naughty Girl!!!! Report to the Headmaster immediately!

It would be a good idea not to show our quilts in this thread so that the competition at the end can be truly anonymous!!!

I will close entry for this on Sunday 8th April at Midnight and then draw the colour combos on the Monday Ok???

The "bedhanging' actually gets used as a full length snuggle quilt!  It's shown draped across the back of the sofa.  Above it is a draft excluder which is in the form of a row of owls.  It was a pre-printed panel bought ages ago in a closing down sale.  The front is as you see it and the back is printed with the backs of the owls.  Really easy to make up, just stitched around leaving a gap, turned right side out and poked the stuffing in.

I might have to re-think on the design.  Actually it might change once I know which colours I'll be using.  If I get purple and yellow it will need a lot more purple than yellow but if I get red and green it should be about half and half.

That's because yellow is the lightest and brightest colour.  Purple (at full strength) is the darkest.  They come opposite to each other on the colour wheel, and the colours in between gradate.

A bit more about it
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/quilts/colour/colourselection.htm
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 06:25:42 AM »
Thank you Brenda for that linky ....

Colour Wheel Help

you really are The Goddess of Colour!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 08:36:53 AM »
Hi, I would love to do a quilt for this. I do have one ‘ unclaimed ‘ quilt looking for a home, but it is not two tone. If I get time and finish all my other sewing projects before July , I’ll try to do something simple. I’ve never restricted myself to just two colours before, so it should be different.

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 09:29:30 AM »
Good on you Sheila, we should all crawl out of our comfort zone from time to time and challenge ourselves  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 09:40:21 AM »
I had a look through some books yesterday evening and found four possibilities.  A couple of them are shown as just light and dark, or light dark and mid tone.  That would translate to two colours or two colours and a neutral.  Within each colour, of course, I will use as many different fabrics as possible.  Most of my P&Q stash is blender fabrics and small overall patterns, I buy by colour rather than pattern.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Sheilago

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
Ok, I’m inspired- no time like the present. Today’s activities have been cancelled due to snow, so I’ve decided on a red and aqua scrappy quilt with L blocks . Nice and simple. Off to raid my scrap box and sew some blocks !

Sheilago

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 12:05:37 PM »
Oops, just read Imi’s instructions more fully and realise I’ve jumped the gun. I see colour is to be allocated randomly- could I please have red, aqua and white

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 13:19:42 PM »
Gotta love the keenness @Sheilago  I'm sure that @Iminei  will be amenable .... perhaps the colours could be allocated quickly and then we can all get started

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 13:44:29 PM »
I'll allocate on Monday (stern headmistressly look    :devil:)

Do you remember Effies beautifully stunning request of turquoise and red for the Star Block swap ???

It worked beautifully and inspired the idea for the two complimentary colours! (was it really summer of 2015!!!!!!!)

Remember you can use as many different tones, shades, tints, and fabrics within your allocated colour range as you like or just the two!!!! Your choice!

Sheilago

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 13:57:10 PM »
Apologies headmistress, will keep my fingers crossed. DH always  asks why I have to do something as soon as I’ve thought of it: it is a bit of a failing! I will be away on holiday on Monday, but if this weather keeps up, I may have finished the top by then. I’m just doing a 36” one.

However , have just emailed Project Linus about the other quilt I have. Made it purely from scraps and just for something to do when I had no projects on the go. Somehow the backing ended up very wonky (off square) , but I don’t suppose a child will mind. The front is ok with lots of interesting things to look at .

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 14:58:29 PM »
DH always  asks why I have to do something as soon as I’ve thought of it:

Imself always asks the same as well ... and the answer is simple ... otherwise I will forget!!!

He also asks why I expect him to do things as soon as I ask him too ...
but that's because that is when I want/need it done and otherwise he will forget!!!   0_0

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 15:20:15 PM »
Monday??!! I might have forgotten by then  :P :devil:

StitchinTime

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 20:28:13 PM »
Count me in for this. I’ve reacquainted myself with my stash and I should be able to cover most colour combinations. If not, there is always Abakhans for a quick top up of colours.

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 21:01:40 PM »
I have just found a pile of blocks from a long abandonned project.  Only two complementary colours plus white - I wonder if Imi will allocate me the right pair of colours. :S