The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place's Project Linus Quilt Challenge

Renegade Sewist

Re: The Sewing Place's Project Linus Quilt Challenge
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2018, 20:08:17 PM »
Do you think polyester thread would be okay for quilting?  I've only ever used cotton but have some poly that is the right colour.

TIA

Quite after the fact, I know, but on thread, here's my thought. Purists would insist on only cotton for everything. True purists would also insist it needs to be hand quilted. Quilt Police who are purists would tell us that using any of the invisible threads is heresy and "not quilting". Fact. Have heard them say it out loud at a show.

These same people forget about the fact that when many of us first got interested in quilting, back in the 70's, when everything was cut out with a template and scissors and most of the fabric available was poly-cotton most machine quilting was done with polyester thread.

I like cotton. I use cotton. My garments are usually cotton, linen or rayon and I sew with cotton. Usually. I also put up with fixing occasional popped seams and seams that start to disintegrate from age. PITA to fix sometimes.

These are kids quilts. Kids use their quilts and they get washed often. It is probably actually a really good idea to quilt a child's quilt with poly thread. I don't usually do kids quilts but will try to remember to use polyester thread.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lowena

« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2018, 21:58:42 PM »
Sorry I missed you @maliw  :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »
Sorry I missed you @maliw  :(
I saw you but you had disappeared before I got chance to say hello.  :'(   Never mind there's always next year  ;)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

StitchinTime

« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2018, 08:53:07 AM »
It as lovely to see the quilts yesterday and meet up with some of the makers. Here are 7 of the 8 quilts at the Project Linus stand ready to be handed over.

Acorn

« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2018, 09:40:57 AM »
Oooh - quilts with legs!  Don't they look wonderful.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sheilago

« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2018, 18:08:55 PM »
Lovely to see my quilt actually there, even if I’m not! You need to tell us who’s who amongst the ‘holder uppers’ in the photo. :D

Sheilago

« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2018, 18:18:01 PM »
Actually I see two are hiding!  0_0

I’m just sitting here thinking that this would be a great thing to do annually. If we had lots of notice, most dark siders could hopefully find time to do one 40 x40” quilt.It needn’t be a competition, but a theme is good. Could we better this year’s total?

Pearl

« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2018, 18:20:49 PM »
 As I finished mine at 20 to 11 on Wednesday night, if we're going to do it again, please could you tell me the theme now.  I'll start tomorrow.   :D

Sandra

« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2018, 18:36:17 PM »
Lovely to see my quilt actually there, even if I’m not! You need to tell us who’s who amongst the ‘holder uppers’ in the photo. :D

I'm a holder-upper.  :) Dead centre, holding the red, white and blue one.

Sandra.
xxx

maliw

« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2018, 19:15:02 PM »
And I'm on the far left with the magenta and green quilt. :)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Kitten

« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2018, 15:41:30 PM »
I'm the one with pink shoes, and my friend is next to me - both "hiding" as we didn't make the quilts, just held them up.
Kitten

twopence

« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2018, 17:16:51 PM »
I’m holding up the purple and lime one next to Sandra.

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2018, 18:59:21 PM »
I'm the one on the far right with the bee-oo-tiful blue and orange quilt. I hasten to say I didn't make it just had the pleasure of holding it up for the photo. I'm home now after a wonderful weekend. It was lovely to meet up with several TSP ladies (though I missed Imself this afternoon).  :( And thank you to Imi for organising the Italian meal on Thursday for 9 of us. It was my first visit to FoQ but I'm already planning for next year. I would like to be involved in the project Linus idea though I would rather not be in a competition. Anyway, I'll go back to looking at my plunder. Lovely. :D

StitchinTime

« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »
Just to let you know that we made the front page of September's Project Linus Newsletter.

Iminei

« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2018, 10:43:33 AM »
OH WOW!!!!!!

That is fantastic!!!

Are we on for next year Ladies?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again