The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place's Project Linus Quilt Challenge

BrendaP

Re: The Sewing Place's Project Linus Quilt Challenge
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2018, 21:04:24 PM »
Oh no!  I've just re-read the original message and it says two colours plus neutral background if desired.  These blocks  have a coloured background with the complementary and white as the design.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 21:47:07 PM »
Do they have Project Linus in other countries?  It would be good if our overseas friends could join in.

We do indeed! Project Linus started in Denver, Colorado, USA. There's a chapter locally, ladies that meet monthly to sew for it and several shops act as drop off locations.

I'm not sure. I was just at the main US site and they are very fussy. Absolutely no animal hair and they instruct coordinators to pitch quilts with any on it. They said recent studies show washing does not remove the contaminants and may make matters worse.!  :S We have cats. I find it impossible to keep anything 100% fur free.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 09:29:12 AM »
Couple of changes to the conditions of the challenge, please read here ...

The Sewing Place's Project Linus Quilt Challenge

Project Linus have an excellent website
which tells you everything you need to know but basically we are looking to
make and donate quilts in one of these three sizes ....

Lap quilt – 36″ square
Cot quilt – 47″ x 55″
Single bed quilt – 55″ x 79″

I intend to take them up to the Project Linus stand at FOQ this year,
but you may take yours up yourself if you so wish.

The deadline for getting the quilts to me will therefore be the 2nd of August 2018.
This gives you a full four months to make your quilt.

To give a sense of uniformity for The Sewing Place's quilts,

we would each make a quilt in just TWO colours ...
plus a neutral background colour of Black, White or Grey if desired.

The Main colour and its Complimentary partner ... eg

Red and Green,
Yellow and Violet,
Blue and Orange etc.

These colours will be randomly allocated by draw to each participant on Monday 9th April 2018
and the rest is up to you ....You choose the size, pattern, and technique(s) used.

There will be a common color for the binding of your chosen neutral background colour or Black,
if no background colour was used, as that will frame and emphasise the lovely bold colour combinations.

Elvis will make each quilt a label with the name of The Sewing Place, its creators user name and date of creation.

I will send these out to you during July

or if preferred, I could attach them for you when they arrive chez Imi's.
(Please leave a 6" section of binding unsewn to enable me to do this.)

Please don't post pics of your blocks, colours or quilt in this thread as then the competition at the end wouldn't be anonymous.

Send Pics of your finished quilt to me at  iminei@thesewingplace.org.uk before the end of July

and we will have an anonymous vote for the Best Quilt with the winner receiving an exclusive The Sewing Place Prize Winners badge.

Closing date for Entries is Sunday 8th April at Midnight (GMT)

and the  colour combos will be drawn and allocated on Monday 9th April
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:30:53 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2018, 14:14:22 PM »
I'm so tempted BUT I have a quilt to make for DGS that has been promised for at least 9 months and I still haven't started it. Also I've made incubator covers for the local neo-natal unit  and I knit for them in the past few months. I could give it a go but can't promise I'd finish it -<
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lowena

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 18:08:56 PM »
Go on @maliw  the deadline is months away  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sandra

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 20:43:46 PM »
I'd love to be able to join in on this one, but sadly I can't.

I have the maddest few months coming up of dress alterations. I've never known so much work coming my way in posh frocks.  :S

I'm going to enjoy popping in from time to time to see how you're getting on.

Sandra.
xxx

maliw

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
I've had a rethink and Im going to give it a miss as there is quite a lot happeneing in the next few months.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Kenora

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 17:03:48 PM »
This challenge has been calling to me since I said I'd give it a miss - I've been thinking about it all weekend .... what I technique I could do, how I could use colour, and so on. I was almost on the verge of giving in and signing up, but now I've had my mind made up for me. I've been asked to make a quilt for a charity raffle and, knowing the speed I work (think snail at full pelt  :S), I've realised I just wouldn't have time to complete both. So, reluctantly now, and finally, I shan't be able to take part. :'(

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone will come up with as using only two colours is quite a challenge. I'm sure there are going to be some amazing quilts. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 04:17:24 AM »
Ladies, entries are now closed and we have ...

@Lowena ..... who was very keen to take part, well done !
@BrendaP .... really looking forward to seeing what you make of this, Goddess!
@StitchinTime .... Amazing work rate so far this year, Bravo!
@Sheilago ... Lovely to see you back in the fold Hon!
@Pearl .... Can't wait to see your offering darling!
@Ploshkin .... Looking forward to see what you make of your colour combo!
@Ellabella .... Great to see you joining in again hon!
@Fajita .... you always make such beautiful things, Im sure its going to dazzle!

on board ...

So sorry to the ladies who couldn't quite commit to this, maybe next time?

I'm about to draw the colours and will be pm'ing you all separately.

Remember no Pics! we want to keep this as much of a surprise as we can for the competition at the end of July.

Iminei

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 04:43:20 AM »
Pm's sent.

We had 8 entrants and there are really only 4 colour combos in the wheel but Blue and Red can be Crimson and Turquoise,  Orange and Indigo could be Sky Blue and Mustard and Green and Purple can be Lime and Mauve ...

its your choice girls!  Have Fun!

Pearl

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 06:59:32 AM »
Couldn't you sleep, Hun?  I slept fitfully, dreaming of complementary colours.

So pleased with my colours.  Thank you!  <3

BrendaP

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »
Thank you Imi for my colours.

I have a little confession - I was too impatient to get started and soI have already made one top.  I've got a pile of fabrics ready to choose from for the second one so that they are the colours chosen by Imi, but guess what the first one is exactly what was allocated so the second one will be ?? and??.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 08:50:56 AM »
Happy with my colours, thanks, and I know what I am going to do with them.  Just have to find the right fabrics now.
Life's too short for ironing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2018, 09:36:29 AM »
I have my colours and I have a pattern in mind, now I just need to see if my stash and my plans match.

If anyone needs black fabric for binding, I have various options in my stash and would be happy to send a piece for you to cut your own binding if you let me know how much you need. I can dig out the various options and post photos if anyone is interested.

Lowena

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 09:39:10 AM »
Thanks for the colours @Iminei  they are 2 of my favourites so I'm well pleased  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D