The Sewing Place

Struggling With My Machine

Lolli

Struggling With My Machine
« on: April 02, 2018, 13:30:00 PM »
My sewing machine is a Janome SMD1000 from Sewing Machines Direct. I bought it 2 & 1/2 years ago when I was a complete beginner (I'd never used one before) so didn't get an expensive one as I wasn't sure if I'd stick at sewing or if could even do it. It was £189 so not the very cheapest bog standard, yet it's not one of the better ones either. It's very noisy when sewing (a knocking/banging sound) and it's not smooth to use. I'd say it needs oil but there's no mention of oiling in the manual at all or instructions of where to put it, plus it's made that racket from the beginning.
Also I have no control with the pedal, it's either full on speed (like it's trying to run away!) or nothing at all. I can't control the speed at which I'm sewing and slow down when I need to. It's very difficult to sew neat  :(

If it was just the pedal I'd look into getting a better pedal but like I say, it's knocky and not smooth running either. I'm thinking about getting a new one and keeping my current one as a spare. What kind of price range is deemed as the right amount for something better and does anyone have any recommendations?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 13:35:29 PM by Lolli »

Ploshkin

Re: Struggling With My Machine
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 14:41:00 PM »
It's probably best to start off by making a list of features you would ideally like to have e.g. speed control, needle up/down, free arm, decorative stitches etc and see what is available that gives you what you want..  of course, you may well have to compromise on some features if it is too expensive for you.
There's always the option of buying good, second hand to get more for your money but still consider what features you really want to have.
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 16:18:13 PM »
Ploshkin's advice is good and I'm sure others will give you equally good advice. Personally I have a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 118 which I'm very happy with (and has all the attributes Ploshkin mentioned). They are listed at £319 in several places. I did have a thought though about your knocking noises - how often are you changing the needle? Using a blunt needle can cause the machine to be noisy. I change mine for every new garment.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 16:42:51 PM »
If you haven't been using too hard, the seller might be willing to take a look at it. For a while they bragged something awful of SMD Janome models. I found a some what similar model on youtube, it's noisy and it looks like that's the way it is. I think there is a minimum of 2-5  years guarantee on sewing machines, and I think SMD offers 5 on your model.

I don't expect too much of machines like this but I know they can be good to have as a side machine or just the small jobs that turn up now and then. I looked it up on SMD, and it has a few nice stretchy stitches, and a freearm. I went for a vintage flatbed Singer 201, it's a very nice and capable machine.  A vintage machine can paye off endlessly when you don't wan't to spend that much money on a machine. Mine is a joy to work on. All machines need a bit of care and attetion now and then, probably yours too. An older machine might have a few thing that need to be sorted out, often a lot of cleaning and oiling. The pluss side is they are meant to be taken care of by the owner.

The main thing I worry about when it comes to some machines like your SMD is how long will they last (broken parts etc.) and capability when it comes to flat felled seams on fabrics like denim, corduroy or densely woven duck. Some machines have the needle stop in two layers of plain cotton and the only thing extra is a lining on the back side.

I dont know about your SMD model, but some new machine can be cleaned by the owner; if so, take off the needle plate, take out the bobbin case and clean the area round hook, race and feed dogs where lent and pieces of thread tend to build up.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 18:19:29 PM »
If this is the machine you have then you have probably got used to having the utility and stretch stitches.

If you are looking to replace the Janome you will be looking for something with at least a similar range of utility stitches etc, either a new machine, a second hand one which someone has traded in  for a high spec machine, or a more recent vintage model.  If you are looking to buy a second machine then you would do well with a robust vintage Singer.

I now use one or other of my vintage Singer 201s as the machine of choice for most things, but they only do straight stitch, and I wouldn't want to be without access to the utility stitches.  The stretch stitches I could live without because anything that stretches significantly I sew with the overlocker.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 18:33:00 PM »
I have a mechanical Janome too. When I got it, the Janome saleslady advised me to put a drop of oil in the bobbin case from time to time. If you take out the bobbin, you'll see a couple of holes in the underlying plate. It has to be just the one drop, but it does make a difference. You could give it a try?

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 18:41:34 PM »
It might be worth getting your machine serviced as it surely shouldn't be that noisy. I got a Janome 5024 about 7 or 8 years ago and it's been great.Janome5024
It must sell well as it is still on sale in John Lewis. It has a one step buttonhole and all the usual stitches. It's nicely designed and pretty solid. I's mechanical. I've never oiled it but I got it serviced last year.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lolli

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 18:45:18 PM »
To be honest I only use the straight, zigzag and tricot stitch, I don't bother with the others (don't even know what they do haha).
Aswell as wanting a new machine, I also want an overlocker for stretch fabrics but I've just bought an Adjustorm dress form so I'll have to be patient....or we could just live off beans on toast for a while  0_0

I'd definitely want one that has those 3 stitches in one machine.

As far as oiling, I was under the impression that some machines are self oiling and because there's no mention of oiling it in the manual's cleaning/care section I thought that was the case with this. I don't know much though so I'm aware I could be completely wrong.

Lolli

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 18:48:58 PM »
I didn't think it would need servicing just yet. Although I've had it 2 & 1/2 years it's not been used that often. Did quite a bit of sewing when I first got it, then for 2 years it's just been very occasionally....until now when I'm really back into it and have got loads of things I want to attempt  :D

Morgan

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 18:53:53 PM »

2 of our sewing club members have brought that model to meetings and noise and clunkiness is not how their machines sound.

It's a mechanical so does need oil and if it's not had any for more than 2 years, it may need a service as well.  Running a machine without lubrication, causes much more wear and tear than would occur otherwise. 

Phone Russell at SMD and explain what is happening.  There's a 5year SMD guarantee with that machine if you bought it from them new.
The customer service usually excellent.

Whilst you could lubricate the machine yourself, a smear (and only a smear) on all parts where metal moves against metal, there is still the issue with the foot pedal that should be resolved.

It's well worth making the phone call especially as at the very least you would have a machine to keep you going until you settle on a new one and when you finally do decide to invest in another you'll have a back-up.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 18:59:19 PM by Morgan »

Lolli

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 20:04:18 PM »
Brilliant thank you. I'll give them a ring tomorrow. I'll mention the foot pedal while I'm at it.

I'm not surprised it's making a racket if it's meant to be oiled! I'd better get some asap.

Can I ask while we're on the subject (just out of curiosity), you say it's mechanical and so it needs oiling.....what other types of machines are there?

arrow

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 20:40:53 PM »
The self oiling machines with sintered gears that lasted years and years cost much more than todays low priced machines. I don't know if any machines use that today. Self oiling means they have these fancy gears and joints where the oil activates when the machine has been warmed up and used a bit. Other ways about it is plastic parts, and metal against plastic parts. Some of the parts in these machines are clipped rather loosely together, and works much like the parts in an old fashion typewrite (the wires between the letter stamp and the keys). They should actually only be cleaned with spirit, compressed air, and more of the same. Some use teflon, and oil on them but oil can worsen stickiness in the long run. Together with a difficult to get off plastic encasing, is the reason I have never manage to find a good answer on the newer machines. I know most machines by far are given a type of lubrication during a service, but it's never mentioned in the user manual anymore.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 21:44:00 PM »

Can I ask while we're on the subject (just out of curiosity), you say it's mechanical and so it needs oiling.....what other types of machines are there?

Mechanical, electronic, computerised.

All vintage machines are mechanical as are the introduction level modern machines (such as the Janome 1000).  They have knobs and dials to controll the innards of the machine.

Electronic machines have buttons and electronic circuits to control the workings.  Computerised machines are high end electronic machines with a display screen and all sorts of fancy features.

As for oiling or not oiling; any metal to metal has to be lubricated, but a lot of modern machines have sealed units which do not require oiling because they have oil emitting bearings. When the machine is used the molecules warm up and force the oil out to lubricate. When not using the machine the oil then returns to the part. Top loading bobbin machines might need only one drop of oil in the wick centered in the bobbin case if the machine becomes noisy.

That paragraph came from
http://forums.threadsmagazine.com/gatherings/general-discussion/do-not-oil-janome-computr-sewing-machine

I think some industrial machines might have a central oil reservoir which lasts for years before it needs topping up.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 21:54:55 PM »
As for oiling or not oiling; any metal to metal has to be lubricated, but a lot of modern machines have sealed units which do not require oiling because they have oil emitting bearings.

I have seen the inners of some models, parts have a sort of clip keeping them together, hadly a screw and nut in sight. I could not detect a trace of lubication on most of the metal parts, some places in turing rods there might be a bit of grease, or just plastic gearing. It suprised me a bit. Most of the low to medium priced machine doens't have the oil emitting bearings, looks more like the lubrication part is largely ignored. This type of bearing needs care as the years go by, but usually done during a service. The worry is we might spill oil on the wrong parts, even though the back of touch screens and selection boards tend to be well sealed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 21:58:16 PM by arrow »

Lolli

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 22:52:23 PM »
This write up is great, would love to see it in the tutorials section with some info about oiling machines or not  ;)

Totally agree. Excellent info there