The Sewing Place

Struggling With My Machine

Lolli

Re: Struggling With My Machine
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 08:28:51 AM »
I rang SMD yesterday, they're going to email me with the info I need to clean and oil in the right place. The guy said to use that 3 in 1 oil as it does the same job as sewing machine oil (which he said was overpriced for what it is). I know nowt so don't know if he's pulling my leg there.
He said the pedal might be sticking at the sliding mechanism and so may just need some grease? They're going to advise how to do that also. I'll give it a go but tbh I'm not convinced on that one. I've struggled to control the speed from the beginning and the first thing I noticed when I bought the machine was that the pedal is cheap quality, light plastic....don't know if they're all like that these days? Anyhoo, I shall wait for my email!

Efemera

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 08:33:40 AM »
Pedals do vary..my Pfaff was an expensive machine..over £1000 and the pedal isn’t very substantial.

Lolli

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
Crikey really? I wouldn't have thought that....there's me whinging about mine with a £190 machine lol

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 10:13:55 AM »
The guy said to use that 3 in 1 oil as it does the same job as sewing machine oil (which he said was overpriced for what it is).

I am surprised that he said that.  I'm not an expert by any means but nearly all of the properly informed opinions to be found on the web say that 3 in 1 is a generic name, and thus can vary in quality, but more importantly they reckon that in time it will leave a slight sticky build up.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.sewing/MmqK9IOhB4w - the  post from Keith Huggett seems to be one of the better articles.

I would say that the bottom line is, unless you really know one oil from another stick to branded sewing machine oil.  Yes, it's more expensive ml for ml than a lot of other oils, but how much do you use at a time?  A drop at a time, maybe 1 ml to lubricate a whole machine so a small bottle lasts for ages.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lolli

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
That's an interesting read @BrendaP thanks for posting that. From what Keith Hugget wrote, industrial sewing machine oil is the best option....of which I have at work so I'm going to pinch some  :ninja:

arrow

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 19:09:49 PM »
Industrial machine sometimes call for a slighly heavier oil (SAE20) than domestic machines, but it can be the same stuff. Sewing machine oil is a purefied acid free mineral oil and the the standard  weight or thickness is around SAE10. Some seem to be a notch lighter, but not nearly as light as most spray can oil. I don't know how much we will save bying a lage can of it, a stadard bottle of this stuff cost under £2. I can by a 1.25 dl bottle for £1.25 in a local store. It tends to last years before it goes empty, unless you start gathering vintage machines and use it a lot for various purposes.

I have seen experts (professional service guys) say they use super lube with teflon or equivalent when they service modern machines (this stuff). It applies very neatly for computerised models. It's hard to know what they actually oil though. Some self oiling gears might call for slighly heavier oil. Most models doesn't have oil emitting gears, only a few has.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 19:24:22 PM by arrow »

Lolli

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 20:20:49 PM »
Well I'm not sure if I'm just being impatient or not but SMD haven't emailed me back yet and I really want to get this sorted.
I've managed to find a tutorial on how to clean and oil so I'll do that tomorrow but as far as the pedal is concerned, I can't find anything. There's no screw to undo it to take it apart? I have noticed it's not a Janome brand pedal, just a cheapy (should it not have been a genuine Janome one supplied with the machine?)
I'm considering buying a proper Janome one, found one on Amazon for £41.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 20:43:26 PM by Lolli »

arrow

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 23:37:58 PM »
SMD for £200 are cheapies, you just can't say it out loud with out someone telling you how wonderful they are. For the price it's a fantastic machine; considering what's actually invested in the materials and build of the machine. Most of the money we pay by far is for seller, transport and distribution, etc; wages to workers assembling them are minimal, and even less  in the actual parts. I'm not saying these machines are impossible and I haven't tried every machine out there, but I would not consider any of the brand new machines I have seen under £400-500. Maybe I'm picky, but I hardly get any improvement or feature I'm looking for when comparing to the machines I already have. What type of machines have you sewn on before? If you have the chance to try a good vintage machine or new ones in a shop then you sort of get the idea of this game. A big part of it is to have something to offer in any price range, for any type of use. For the pedal, it's probably Janome made (its' almost like most brand have been owned by Janome at some point) and you should get someone to take a look at it or find a better one. You know best how your SMD machine works and manage for the jobs you do, but it's always a good idea to have relevant points of referance.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 00:53:09 AM by arrow »

Lolli

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 00:28:28 AM »
I'd never used a sewing machine before I bought this, it's my 1st one. I didn't invest much money incase I couldn't do it lol. So therefore I haven't got anything to compare it to apart from the Pfaff industrial one at work which obviously doesn't help!

I'd be happy to stick with it for now if a good clean and oil sorts out the racket and if I can solve the pedal problem but with me wanting to do so much more sewing at home, I will want an upgrade soon......or even sooner if I can't sort the problems!

Next time I purchase however, I will go to a proper shop to try them out before I buy. Definitely lesson learnt here

Morgan

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 14:03:38 PM »
Well I'm not sure if I'm just being impatient or not but SMD haven't emailed me back yet and I really want to get this sorted.
Telephone and talk to them - it works well.

Lolli

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 18:30:40 PM »
Telephone and talk to them - it works well.

I did, they said they'd email me with instructions on what to do. But it's o.k, I've recieved said email now which I'm pleased to say is a very clear, detailed video.
I was just being impatient  :S
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 20:09:20 PM by Lolli »

Lolli

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 01:00:13 AM »
I've finally managed to clean and oil my machine following the video SMD sent me and I'm pleased to report it's made a big difference. It's running much smoother and no knocking noises to be heard.
I decided to buy a new pedal (a Janome branded) and it's so much more responsive. I could tell with the weight of it that it was better quality but when I tried it out, I could really tell the difference. I've got much more control speed wise and because it's heavier,  it doesn't slide around the floor.

SMD asked me to send my original pedal to them to have a look at as it's difficult to get into and although I've bought a new one I'm still going to send it. As my machine is under warranty,  I may aswell see if they can either do something with it or if I'm lucky they might send me a better quality one. In that case I'll have a good spare

arrow

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 01:13:42 AM »
Where did you oil? As I mentioned, I know the more reasonably priced machines are lubricated the basic way, and doesn't have the self oiling properties; which means ideally it should to be oiled more frequently than during a once a year service. Either way, nice to hear it's working, some of these models have a few handy stitch patterns too. SMD get's to know which pedal type that's having more problems than others when you send it back. With pedals you really don't know for sure until you have tried them, odd things can happen new or old.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:29:25 AM by arrow »

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 08:02:05 AM »
I think it's usually reckoned at oiling after 8 hours of use - that means 8 hours of the needle going up and down, it doesn't include all the time spent cutting out, measuring, pinning, pressing, drinking coffee .......   
or
If you use the machine daily oil it once a week.
If you use it a couple of times a week oil it monthly.
If you use it a couple of times a month oil it every 3-4 months.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lolli

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 14:29:34 PM »
Where did you oil?

In a few places, had to take the bottom and side off. A drop on the needle bar, one in a little hole next to that, one in the hook race area and one onto some lint next to some bushes underneath. I've no idea what the technical terms are for these areas but all I can say is with one little drop (just a smidge) of oil in all these places, it's running fab  :)

I'm sending my pedal and they've confirmed there's no charge for whatever they might do to it.