The Sewing Place

[SOLVED] No picture attachemnt option any more?

LeilaMay

[SOLVED] No picture attachemnt option any more?
« on: April 03, 2018, 13:59:28 PM »
Not sure if this is a problem on my end, but I've no longer got a picture attachment option at the bottom of posts when I press attachments and other options?

I wanted to load a couple of pictures of my machine or sale, straight from my computer to the site.

I'm probably missing something obvious? Sorry  :(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 16:49:07 PM by Francesca »

wrenkins

Re: No picture attachemnt option any more?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 14:13:19 PM »
I don't have it either @LeilaMay. I used to be able to post pictures (with enough to do and pressing of buttons mind you) but now I can't. Imi said it was a subscriber privilege when I asked.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 14:37:19 PM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 14:27:05 PM »
Oh :(
Okay, thank you for the info   :sew:

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 17:45:08 PM »
Yes, I can explain. Uploading pictures to posts was always intended to be a subscriber only option, this is mainly because hosting pictures on our server costs the most money whereas hosting text is not too bad.

What we didn't realise was that some non-subs were able to upload pics. Apologies, growing pains as we are only just past our first year so there are still things to iron out :)

If you do want to share pics there is a tutorial in the Tech Tutorials forum to show you how top upload them elsewhere.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 12:59:00 PM »
Hello! The answer to my question might be above, in that I can't unless I'm a subscriber, but.... how do I add images to a PM? There is a button for add images, which when clicked brought up some code, but I couldn't work out how to put in image into the middle of the code. I use Mac and Safari if that's any use.

Thanks, Carol

And as a ps, second, related question, how does one subscribe? Is it the 'support the sewing place" thing?
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 13:55:28 PM »
@Sewingforfun: hello fellow Mac user.  If you want to post a picture from the internet, you need an image whose address starts with http and ends with .jpg, .png or .gif (these are all types of picture files).  Copy the entire addres, for example,

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1uqZhLpXXXXcaXFXXq6xXFXXXM/Thick-high-waisted-mid-length-circle-skirts-for-womens-large-size-winter-black-full-skirts-red.jpg_640x640.jpg

and then click on the little picture image and paste.

This is slightly larger than the site prefers and there is a third party imaging tool that I use to resize.

If you want to subscribe, click 'support the sewing place' as you guessed.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 14:16:38 PM »
Hi, thanks for this. Does the picture *have* to be on the internet already to post it or DM? I meant straight off my computer, out of iPhoto or Finder.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 17:07:19 PM »
@Sewingforfun: I use Lunapic for images on my computer.  I wrote a little tute as follows:

save your picture to your computer desktop (or somewhere you can find it easily);
use the 'Browse folder' in Lunapic to import it;
crop or resize as required and APPLY the results;
when you are happy with the result, scroll to the bottom for the 'Save' options and select 'Imgur';
in the 'Image URL' window will be a link that ends .jpg
copy everything in that window and use it to repost here using the little picture icon in reply.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 17:30:52 PM »
@LeilaMay you are a subscriber so should be able to add pics from your computer
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingforfun

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 21:51:28 PM »
Ah ha, ok, thanks!

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
Just a thought but are you able to delete them after a certain time to make space?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »
If you upload a photo from your own computer, as soon as a copy has been uploaded to the TSP server you can do what you like with the one on your own computer, so yes delete it as soon as you wish.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 11:03:26 AM »
Just a thought but are you able to delete them after a certain time to make space?

We have no desire to do so at present, because this will affect how the back-reading of posts goes. We'd prefer our history to remain intact (for as long as is feasible, not a bridge we've come to yet).

Sewingforfun

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 18:18:44 PM »
Hi - I may be being dim, but I despite being a subscriber, and having the attachment button, I just can't seem to make my attachments attach. I've downsized my files (.jpg), but even the one that is only 8kb won't load and what should be the link just says  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Any thoughts? Thanks, Carol x

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 19:44:55 PM »
That link is to a pdf file and not an image. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.