The Sewing Place

Someone was asking about increasing seams just a little bit

Elnnina

Someone was asking about increasing seams just a little bit
« on: April 03, 2018, 17:05:03 PM »

Someone was asking about adding just a ¼” seam allowance which apparently is what is used in patchwork and quilting.  There is a nifty little gadget called Quilters Wonder Wheel which is  made of brass, so a tiny wheel with a hole in the middle in which you insert a pencil and then position the wheel against your pattern/template edge and just draw around the shape you need, excellent on curves and on straight lines.

It is a product from the USA and I found mine years ago in a quilting and patchwork shop that has now long gone.    From the packaging I will say this is one that was marketed by W.H. Collins, Inc. in the USA.

Just one of those many useful haberdashery items that we see from time to time and buy because we can see a use for this.

WendyW

Re: Someone was asking about increasing seams just a little bit
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 17:25:28 PM »

Here's the Wonder Wheel. That looks easy to use, if your original pattern is thick enough to catch the edge of the wheel.

I have a couple tracing pencils that are each 2 pencils in a holder that keeps the points properly spaced- one for 1/4" and one for 5/8". You trace one tip along the seam line, and the other draws the cutting line.

BrendaP

Re: Someone was asking about increasing seams just a little bit
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 21:31:52 PM »
Bog standard hexagonal shaped pencils are usually 1/4" diameter so tape two together and use one point to trace the edge of the pattern and the other will draw a quarter inch seam allowance.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.