The Sewing Place

Anyone got one of these on the Dark Side?

Marniesews

Anyone got one of these on the Dark Side?
« on: April 15, 2018, 15:39:51 PM »
This is 7 years old so many of you will probably have seen this...I can see the attraction of it but with no sewing room and not a lot of wall space, it's just as well I prefer to go to the spotlights.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Efemera

Re: Anyone got one of these on the Dark Side?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 15:43:22 PM »
I just arrange stuff on the bed in the spare room.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 16:45:19 PM »
I don't have the spare wallage, but I do have a 24" X 36"  felt backed (one side felt, the reverse is a whiteboard), office display board. I can attach my workings to this with sewing pins. I find it invaluable, and portable.

Sadly I don't have the obviously necessary loud sound alarm system, either. 

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 18:19:34 PM »
I have a large piece of hardboard covered in foam and fabric. I lean it against the shelving in the workshop and pin things to it
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 19:20:17 PM »
Like Efemera, I use the spare room bed to layout out my quilt blocks. Or, for smaller projects, I hold them up in front of a full-length mirror in the hall, and stand back to achieve a good distance.

About a year ago I decided to convert our box room from a study into a sewing room. Unfortunately, nothing has come of my plans  :'( . I can't do it on my own, and DH is always too busy in the garage or helping neighbours with their vehicles!!!! I can't moan too much because he put the vacuum cleaner around for me this morning. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 23:19:56 PM »
I have a display board, too.  Although I do have the wall space, I can close it up and keep people out of it.  With cardboard (which is what I use), I have to replace it every couple of years when I pin to it and I have added my own closure to keep it shut (buttons and ribbon) but it's easy enough to find in stores, is portable and I can store it behind or under things if I have to.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 07:08:23 AM »
I find pinning things to The Ironing Board Cover That Became A Quilt does me very well (tho' the current state of the IBCTBAQ is something I daren't think about)

At the moment I have quite a few layers on the IBCTBAQ and the slender dowel it is hanging on is beginning to show some stress ... Maybe I should put somethings away???

I too do not have any spare wallage but do have a couple of large sheets of polystyrene gleaned from some large technological purchase that some blocks are permanently temporarily pinned to.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 07:25:25 AM »
I have a metal rod that sits along the top of the bookcase in my sewing room and extends out across the wall. I have a large felt backed plastic tablecloth which I clip to the rod with bulldog clips, the felt back side facing out. I pin my blocks onto this. Only problem is that it foofs around as it doesn't have a solid back so it can be tricky pinning the blocks to it and I have to be careful I don't get over brutish about it and accidentally stick the pins into the wall behind. It's not a perfect solution but it's what I've got.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!