The Sewing Place

Binding opinion please !!!

Lowena

Re: Layout opinion please
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 18:27:09 PM »
@Morgan  how do I get the page size back please?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 18:31:43 PM »
Control and + get it bigger again.

I agree with most of the others, teh second one with the black and white looks better; I think it's just that little bit of neutral that pulls it together.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 19:02:05 PM »
Thanks @BrendaP  you're a gem  :angel:

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 09:26:15 AM »
You are indeed gems, @Morgan @BrendaP 

I never knew I could do that and you are right the B&W stood out for me too, tho' I may have to make another as one of the strips is misplaced :(

That is the complete quilt Morgan, bar the sashing and top and bottom strips of colour. I'm just waiting for the garage to call and give me the car back so I can pootle to the Emporia and get the last bits of fabric.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 12:10:55 PM »
Late to the party :'( but I think the bottom one as well. The black and white gives a good focal point and balance tho I would like to see it laid out with the white sashing to see whether that alters the impact.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 16:16:36 PM »
Linky

Well here's where I'm at and I now have a bit of a problem ... I have precisely 13 1/2" of the white on white left.

No problem I thought, I will just head off to my local Emporia  after collecting the car and get some more!

Having handed over an eye watering sum of money to the garage, I drove to The Emporia and walked confidently in.
I headed to the whites and was struck dumb....

My heart began to race and I started to tremble ...

Where their extensive range of white on whites used to be were Beiges!!!!!!

Usually there are more than a dozen bolts of WoW, you can barely find a plain white ...... now ... NONE!!!

I started dashing round the Emoporia ... maybe they had moved them .... NO !!!
Maybe they were running low so had cut them into FQ's, so I scurried round the FQ boxes ... but to no avail !!!

They ... Had .... NO .... WoW's ... at ... all!!!

In fact the whole Emporia looked a lil threadbare (if you pardon the pun!)

Now I do not anticipate this being a big thing its a Makower essential after all but it now means ...

I have to post off a snip to various Emporias across the country 
and wait for that to get to them
and for them to get back to me
and then for us to make the transaction
and then for the fabric to get to me !!

and this Quilt should (hopefully) be leaving the country at the end of this month!

StitchinTime

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 16:37:38 PM »
Can you post a picture of just the WoW fabric? From what I can see by zooming in on the photos, it looks very similar to something in my stash (if my memory is not playing tricks as it has been there a while).

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 17:06:41 PM »
Here you go @StitchinTime

linky

That piece is 13.5 cms x 10.5 cms so the design  is really small.

I could post you a snippet ... How much do you have ??
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 17:08:30 PM by Iminei »

StitchinTime

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 19:21:49 PM »
@Iminei This is what I have in my stash - similar but not the same. I also think it is more an off white than a white as it is from the ebony and ivory collection (there’s a sheet of A4 copier paper at the top of the photo for reference). I do have ~2.5 m of it if you wanted to redo all your sashing.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 19:45:05 PM »

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 19:48:21 PM »
Let me send you a piece ... I really don't want to redo .... but if its close enough in colour ??
I will of course pay retail price + p&p

In the post first thing, you'll (hopefully) get it Saturday!

Thank you SIT

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 13:54:05 PM »
So I've gone as far as I can go ....

and the top is, to my eye, finished barring the 4 vertical columns .... and this is all the fabric I have left ... gulp! ...

linky

If SIT's fabric is no good I will be on the phone to Doughty's, LSnS and Cotton patch but GGRRRR having to wait,  :angry:

I suppose I could do some more to the Village, a flamingo perhaps ???
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 13:59:41 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 14:52:58 PM »
Why do you keep running out of fabric @Iminei ?? I never have  -< do you change your mind once you've started something? or do you miscalculate? I know you can't be messing up and throwing away as you're too good for that, but I'm truly intrigued as to how it happens  <3

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 14:56:00 PM »
I generally use from my stash ... so although I had a good metre and a bit it wasn't enough.

Also I don't plan these things ... they just evolve!

I've packed  up and am going to make a chilli for tonight's dinner ... whilst watching Remains of the Day ... such gentle measured performances from two of the finest actors! Bliss!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 14:58:12 PM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 03:39:08 AM »
Crisis averted thanks to the wonderful peeps at Midsommer Quilting

I now have 3 m's of the white on white and 2 1/2 ms of a beautifully crisp Kona white and Makower Deep Red ... I was a bit surprised when Imself offered to take me to MQ early doors yesterday but jumped at the chance and am now all set to crack on and finish the quilt.