The Sewing Place

Goldhawk Road

Mama likes to make

Goldhawk Road
« on: March 15, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
Hi hope its ok to start a thread here but it is a specific supplier question rather than a general one. If I need to delete please just shout.

I have booked a weekend in London next moth with my oldest DS (he will be six this summer) and I'm hoping for a very quick stop on Goldhawk road. What are the must visit shops and any tips please? I would like to get some nice jerseys maybe some cord or coloured denim and also some things like wide stretch lace trims.

Thank you.

Actually if anyone has any must see suggestions for a nearly 6 year old boy in London I would love them too.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

UttaRetch

Re: Goldhawk Road
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
I pretty much go in ALL the Goldhawk Road shops, although my favourite is Classic Textiles (the owner had considered closing before the council scrapped the redevelopment scheme, so don't know if it's will there).  I should warn you that a lot of the shops are on different levels and have rickety stairs some without hand rails.

The museums in South Kensington, especially the Science and Natural history are always good value as would a visit to the Tower of London.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »
Every shop! Every shop is a must-visit. They are all so very different.

My general way of tackling Goldhawk is:

Come out of the station, most of the shops you will see are on the one side of the bridge (the side with Tesco). There are a few the opposite way but not worth it IMO.

Go up all the shops on one side until you hit Brewdog, then cross and go back down the other side. Take photos of things you like (they have no problems with this, no need to ask). I usually snap a photograph of the shopfront once I've left it. That way when I scroll backwards through my phone I know which shop the fabric was in.

Then go to Costa on the corner and form plan of attack. Decide purchases based on pictures. Withdraw cash from Tesco (plenty of places do take cards now but not all). And go shopping!

6 year old boy wise, there is the new Star Wars exhibition if he's into that. Tower of London is good but the crown jewels are around a 3hr queue so not child friendly. International War Muesum in Lambeth maybe? Lots of tanks and aircraft. Science Museum is very good. Natural History is fun with the T-Rex but these are things he'll be able to see year after year.

I recently did a Thames Rocket Boat tour which was great fun. Quite expensive mind, but worth it in my opinion. It's a tour with facts and info for the journey up to the City and then the way back down they go into speedboat mode and play cheesy music and fly you along the river at quite considerable speed. Feels a bit like a mild rollercoaster. Lots of quick turns and jumps over crests whilst they blare out the Baywatch theme tune. I absolutely loved it even if it was cheesy!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:39:48 PM by Francesca »

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
I've taken pictures of the shopfront too.  It helps if you don't buy the fabric immediately but decide you want it at a later stage.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 13:01:01 PM »
Good battle plan, Fran. I haven't been to Goldhawk Road for a couple of years but Classic Textiles was my favourite. It has ( or did have) some Liberty lantana at good prices and great linen.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Mama likes to make

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 15:48:32 PM »
Thank you all so much for the help. I'm really looking forward to it. Will try and take lots of pictures. I'm trying to have a few projects in mind to buy for and hopefully I won't go too mad!!
2018 fabric used 12m.

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 16:20:06 PM »
Can't help with Goldhawk Road advise as I've yet to go their myself (one day...) But if it's a nice day the Princess Diana memorial playground is fab https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/kensington-gardens/things-to-see-and-do/sports-and-leisure/diana-memorial-playground

Mama likes to make

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 16:39:46 PM »
Thank you so much I just showed him that and he proclaimed it looked very cool!

Our hotel is very near the tower of london and I have never been so I will definitely add that on. I think we might try for the london eye though I believe that can be very busy??
2018 fabric used 12m.

Swisslass

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 17:57:56 PM »
I would second the Imperial War Museum, we went to the one in Manchester and plan doing the London one at Easter. HMS Belfast is also good, I believe you can also go in Tower Bridge, and check on the website for the times at which it will be opening. Walk along the south bank and peer through the gate at the Globe Theatre. The London Eye is also great, we'll be doing this for the 3 time, each time we have just turned up and jumped on. The first time I took my son to London he was 4 and got lots of thrills riding at the front of a double decker bus and watching and riding the tubes.... Chinatown and environs is a great place to eat, and often the museums have good cafes. Greenwich is another place that may be worth a visit, there's the maritime museum, market, park, and Cutty Sark, you can take the DLR to Island Gardens (? End of the line) and walk through the tunnel under the river to Greenwich. (theres also a very large very new Lego shop in Leicester Square) St Martin in the Fields used to offer brass rubbing in the crypt for a small fee, not sure if it still happens. The Natural History museum is fun, and free.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Mama likes to make

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 19:10:45 PM »
The lego shop is the first thing on his list! He is lego mad. That's great to know about the London Eye as I think he will really enjoy that. Thank you so much for all the ideas.
2018 fabric used 12m.

Swisslass

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 06:27:44 AM »
Another place for free entertainment is Changing of the Guard at Buck Pal, usually 10.15 - check times and days, and then walk down LHS side of Buck Pal for a photo stood next to a horse guard.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 20:24:16 PM »
There is, indeed, a Lego store in Leicester Square so I'm not sure why you crossed it through.

My sister and me took my niece to see the guards on parade, but we went 'through the gate' off Trafalgar Square.  I don't care for this sort of ceremony, but my sister felt my niece should know about her British heritage as she is half Italian.

The Imperial War Museum is a bit out of the way, so I would suggest HMS Belfast (moored just below London Bridge) as an alternative.

Nattywoo

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 23:30:41 PM »
Nothing to add on Goldhawk Road, other than I am jealous!
When my daughter was about that age I took her to see The Lion King at the theatre and she absolutely loved it - live performance with live musicians, the opening scene is jaw-dropping.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 11:14:37 AM »
Thank you everyone he is so excited (and I am possibly a bit giddy at the thought of the trip too  0_0 )
2018 fabric used 12m.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 15:02:51 PM »
There was quite a queue for the logo store on Saturday afternoon so might want to get there early.

Dare I point out that the lego store to Berwick  Street is only a short walk  - worth visiting for a brief drool.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily