The Sewing Place

Sweatshirt fabric hunt- can you help please?

Stitchalot

Sweatshirt fabric hunt- can you help please?
« on: April 06, 2018, 07:25:35 AM »
I bought this ballerina fabric from Higgs and Higgs at the NEC sewing show to make my dgd a sweatshirt. When she saw it she was adamant that she would like a hoodie, which left me short of fabric for the waistband. Never mind, I thought, I will use ribbing instead.  However, despite having four different shades of grey ribbing, none of them look right.

Please does anyone have any scraps of this fabric I could purchase, or know where I might get some? (I wrote to Higgs & Higgs and they have sold out, without a prospect of getting any more.) I really must learn the lesson of buying extra fabric, but it was £16.99pm!
Thank you for reading.

Ploshkin

Re: Sweatshirt fabric hunt- can you help please?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:57:00 AM »
It's very hard to get ribbing that is a good match as it just comes in a range of basic colours.  Might you be able to use some plain grey sweatshirt fabric?
Life's too short for ironing.

Lizzy777

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »
Is it possible to ask Higgs& Higgs for the name of the fabric and possibly the brand of it too? would make it a bit easier to trace online perhaps?

lizzy

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 08:35:08 AM »
Could you use a pink or black ribbing instead of trying to match the grey?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 08:48:10 AM »
I'd suggest pink or black ribbing too - or even pink or black sweatshirt fabric - and use it for the cuffs too.

Morgan

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 09:59:34 AM »

From JoseryScroll down for a range of colours
Consider the black & white tubular ribbing here
Alternatively there is a marl here for a plain fabric option

From Neotrims
Different types of ribbed trims here as well as fabrics if you prefer that option.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:47:52 AM by Acorn »

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
Higgs & Higgs have a rib knit jersey that may just work. Is the fourth one down in the picture a similar colour to your fabric?  http://www.higgsandhiggs.com/rib-knit-jersey-light-grey-marl.html
or these perhaps?

https://www.frumble.co.uk/shop/ribbing-24739
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/387547098/light-grey-marl-ribbing-grey-neck-band

I couldn't see your fabric anywhere in my searches. It seems  the ballerina fabrics are more pink for this year?
Did you buy it last year? Also, I think Higgs& Higgs are the main suppliers for that fabric too?

Hope you find something to finish it off, it is a lovely top.

lizzy

Stitchalot

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 13:22:07 PM »
Thanks everyone.
Lizzy - I bought it this year, only about three weeks ago. When I wrote to Higgs & Higgs I did ask about suitable ribbing but they said they didn’t have a good match.

The trouble is, it’s tricky to  accurately match the colours online. I think I will probably go for a pink in the end. I just thought I would check here in case anyone had seen it. It’s not the end of the world, I’m sure she will love it. It’s beautifully soft on the inside. Will post a picture of her wearing it when it’s done.

That may be a few weeks as I have just arrived on a three week break in a cottage in Pembrokeshire, complete with sewing machine, overlocker and numerous items ready cut out  :). Hoping to be very productive, in between the coastal walks and seeing the grandchildren.

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 20:02:51 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Lizzy - I bought it this year, only about three weeks ago. When I wrote to Higgs & Higgs I did ask about suitable ribbing but they said they didn’t have a good match.

I spent some time searching for you and then saw that the fabric may only be available from High&Higgs. But I did notice whilst searching that the majority of similar type fabric (with ballerina's ) did seem to centre around pink.

The trouble is, it’s tricky to  accurately match the colours online. I think I will probably go for a pink in the end. I just thought I would check here in case anyone had seen it. It’s not the end of the world, I’m sure she will love it. It’s beautifully soft on the inside. Will post a picture of her wearing it when it’s done.
I agree, it is difficult matching colours online. I think a pink would be lovely and go so well too :)  It looks like a lovely fabric too. Would love to see a picture of her wearing it when its finished.

That may be a few weeks as I have just arrived on a three week break in a cottage in Pembrokeshire, complete with sewing machine, overlocker and numerous items ready cut out  :). Hoping to be very productive, in between the coastal walks and seeing the grandchildren.

Oh that sounds like a nice long break in a lovely area. Enjoy your break :)

lizzy