The Sewing Place

Trouser/Pants Pattern by body shape

Morgan

Trouser/Pants Pattern by body shape
« on: March 15, 2017, 13:11:50 PM »
I have not tried these patterns so cannot comment or recommend.
Also, it's USA based and I don't know if the patterns are shipped to the UK.

It's likely that fitting adjustments will still be needed and anything that helps get us to a better starting area for shape may give us a fighting chance.

http://www.darlenemillercloz4u.com/pants/pants.html

Here is the link to Miller's  scheme for body shape to help choose the pattern for your body shape http://www.darlenemillercloz4u.com/bodyshape.html

Looking at these and the other patterns on the site, they look like they may be useful starter patterns and once fitted could be used as templates for adapting other styles.

The author of the Sewing Plums blog said favourable things about her experience with the Triangle Pant pattern  https://sewingplums.com/2010/06/27/pants-styles-and-body-shapes/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 13:18:05 PM by Francesca »

DementedFairy

Re: Trouser/Pants Pattern by body shape
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 14:11:57 PM »
Well I took a look and down I'm most upset that I'm apparently a spongebob square pants.  Not going there again!
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 14:29:46 PM »
Yes, but at least you get to live in a pineapple under the sea, DF!  0_0
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 14:43:55 PM »
Yes, but at least you get to live in a pineapple under the sea, DF!  0_0
every cloud...
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 15:56:47 PM »
I'm a circle and some of the definitions pretty much match my body, HOWEVER, only the most ambitious pattern hack will accommodate my small waist/saddlebag upper thighs/bubble butt/protruding front thighs.   :(

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 17:17:21 PM »
Looks like I'm none of these things. A blob maybe?

rowe1311

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 19:55:48 PM »
Well I am square. 

I do want a good base pattern.  I have made three pairs of trousers now from a pretty poor pattern and each time I need to make lots of alterations.  It would be good to have a really good one to start with.  The problem with this pattern is it is not my style, and I don't know if I have the skill to then change it to a style I prefer.  Any other pattern recommendations for a square? 

Angela

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 20:54:04 PM »
Well I am square. 

Any other pattern recommendations for a square? 

Angela

I've found Style Arc Linda, Misty and Flat-bottom Flo give a nice range of styles to suit my thick waisted, slim hipped, no-bum shape.  SHE may call it a square, I think I'm a barrel of apples.

I generally just raise the waistline to make sure it clears my high hipline and fat belly, then elasticate it, no matter the style.  Sometimes I fold a bit of the back crotch point, which deals with the bum issue.  On Style Arc, I have less to do...
C'est moi!

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 22:31:55 PM »
I suspect I am a triangle, for trousers anyway, but it looks as if you would need to get her book to see how her system works as her site only gives those little drawings.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »
Hi, I'm new here.  I am an experienced seamstress recently retired and spent most of my working life in tailoring.  Now I have more time on my hands and I'm looking to try and keep my brain active I figured it's time to look at a less structured style of sewing!
I've just acquired a style arc pattern and although the pattern is really simple the information is really sparse especially the lack of a size chart.  I noticed you have mentioned a book, can you tell me the name of this book and where I can get it please?  I can't find it on Amazon.

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »
Hi, I'm new here.  I am an experienced seamstress recently retired and spent most of my working life in tailoring.  Now I have more time on my hands and I'm looking to try and keep my brain active I figured it's time to look at a less structured style of sewing!
I've just acquired a style arc pattern and although the pattern is really simple the information is really sparse especially the lack of a size chart.  I noticed you have mentioned a book, can you tell me the name of this book and where I can get it please?  I can't find it on Amazon.
Style Arc's size chart is on their site, they don't bother printing on the patterns as you order by specific size anyway.  On their site, they also have specific tutorials on various techniques that are common to lots of patterns [nice and efficient]

Which pattern is it, and is there something specific you're stuck on?
C'est moi!

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 11:45:49 AM »
The book appears to be available only from her site, so watch out for postage costs...
http://www.darlenemillercloz4u.com/book.html
C'est moi!

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 17:50:37 PM »
I'm not really stuck on anything to do with the sewing part of it, it's the sizing!  The pattern is Flo and is a multi size pattern going from an 18 up to a 30.  I have measured the waist etc and the nearest I can get the size to fit me is a size 20, when I'm actually a 16/18 depending on the manufacturer.  I generally use Vogue patterns of which a 14 is the one that fits best but I'm fed up of the wrinkles I get on the back legs and I never seem to be able to adjust the patterns to eliminate them entirely  :(

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 18:34:10 PM »
No pattern companies sizes match to RTW, which is all vanity !  HAve you found the sizing on the site yet?  Measuring is probably better anyway.  I've had one or two PDF Style Arcs come up much larger than the usual.  Never trust any numbers other than the tape measure lol
C'est moi!

elephun

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 02:24:53 AM »
Here you go, Surest1tch: Style Arc size chart