The Sewing Place

Hi from North Staffs

Sewcycle

Re: Hi from North Staffs
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »
Hello jane-k. I had a similar reaction to domestic science teaching! I remember sewing up some very strange items, often not fitting. Thankfully I put that behind me and enjoy garment sewing mainly for myself. Hope you find many new ideas and inspirations here
'Is there a life before breakfast'

Marniesews

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 13:05:33 PM »
Hello & welcome from me too.
Sounds to me like you've got it right, enjoying it is the most important thing & knowing where you need to improve gives you a sense of direction & motivation to get there.

Still hoping to get there myself but more paths constantly appear & I think the trick is really to continue to travel hopefully forever.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Seweasy

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 14:26:27 PM »
Your first post in this thread sounds very similar to my sewing style too.... 0_0 0_0 nice to know I'm not the only one with quilting catastrophies.... 0_0 0_0
I'm so much better at buying fabric, than  I am at using it up....

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 15:10:57 PM »
Welcome to TSP

(think chopped-off points, corners that don't meet and crooked seams). 

Can't be any worse than my quilting attempts!  My project linus quilt is now ready to go to Iminie, most of the piecing was OK but in one place I found that there was a small strip missing, so a bit of unpicking followed by some reasonably inconspicuous "applique" to get the missing bit in.  :ninja:  Then I did some really wobbly quilting, but from a distance it looks OK.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 15:23:12 PM »
Hello there Jane, and welcome from me too!

Have a good look round, then jump right in, there is always someone around who can help, and no question is daft - we've all asked them!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

mammafairy

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 20:31:28 PM »
Did you have the same sewing teacher as I did? If I had not already been sewing she would have stopped me for life! My only project with her was stopped at 3 weeks, when I took it home in tears, made the thing that night with Mum's advice and wore it next day! Stupid teacher!

crafter

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 21:33:47 PM »
I am sure that most teachers get immense satisfaction from seeing their students do well.  But do they ever consider the effect that an off the cuff criticism can have. 

Anyway, welcome  :). All you will get here is good advice.