The Sewing Place

Urgent - simple draw string bag instructions required

sewingj

Urgent - simple draw string bag instructions required
« on: April 06, 2018, 13:41:41 PM »
8 year old grandson is coming for the weekend with DS - he hasn`t been here much - marriage breakdown - long story.

DS is worrying he won`t have enough to do and is talking about trailing off to Warwick Castle (very expensive and in my opinion unneccessary).  I`m sure we will find enough to entertain him but I believe he had a go at sewing at school and enjoyed it so, if we do start running out of ideas, I thought we could make a bag . I`ve got lots of suitable fabric and ribbon/cord etc but can`t think how to do the top edge tidly so I can insert the cord.
Given time I`m sure I`d work it out - but I`m a bit stressed - and would quite like to give him the impression that his grandmother knows what she is doing
Help!

BrendaP

Re: Urgent - simple draw string bag instructions required
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 16:22:48 PM »
https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2013/06/easy-fat-quarter-drawstring-bag-tutorial.html

That looks simple enough and the size could be adjusted, but an 8 year old in UK is unlikely to understand inches.  Convert to his language and use cm and mm.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 16:44:48 PM »
That looks simple enough and the size could be adjusted, but an 8 year old in UK is unlikely to understand inches.  Convert to his language and use cm and mm.

metric and imperial measurements are part of the curriculum...and most rulers still have both on
C'est moi!

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 16:46:36 PM »
Eh I didn't think when I posted it and just wanted to show how it could be done.  I hadn't had enough coffee to explain it either, so I found the tutorial.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 16:56:21 PM »
I've made a few of these both lined and unlined including a simple one last week for my gym shoes.  I'm not sure that the way that tutorial does the tie string/ribbon is the best - I've tried it and it won't pull smoothly. This Youtube video by Crafty Gemini will show you how to do it so it works well. You can always scale it up and convert to metric. It's the technique that's the crucial part.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 19:23:54 PM »
metric and imperial measurements are part of the curriculum...

Are they?   Shows how behind the times I am!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 20:10:15 PM »
metric and imperial measurements are part of the curriculum...and most rulers still have both on
I remember, when I was teaching, being asked for a ruler with filligretres on it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 20:26:44 PM »
I would pay good money for one of those. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.