The Sewing Place

Tape measure

Elnnina

Tape measure
« on: March 15, 2017, 14:51:36 PM »
Quite a while ago on the previous TSF,  someone was asking about a specific type of tape measure – possibly it was the then Jacky F or now Marnie Sews.  This tape measure was different – possibly  a slide on the actual tape measure that stayed put when you measured so that you could accurately measure yourself and yet get an accurate reading?

If so please   what is this tape measure called and even better where did you find this?  Can anyone help please – thanks.

UttaRetch

Re: Tape measure
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 15:47:16 PM »
I believe this

is what you want and you can buy it from Morplan - scroll down a bit.

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 21:17:17 PM »
Yes it was me. The Morplan looks very similar apart from having a metal press stud (mine is plastic). I got mine from Rebecca's Haberdashery and the p&p is £2.95 almost half of the Morplan charge (there was a complaint about that on the Morplan review page).

I find it really good - as long as you don't stand on the plastic sliding gauge by accident.  :|  Got another only last week. :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 21:54:44 PM »
Keep meaning to get one of these.

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 14:46:41 PM »
Thank you to all who have replied.  Yes Marnie, that is the tape measure that I am after, just sounds such a good idea.  It will be going on my shopping list right now,  Thanks again.

Elnnina

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:57:03 AM »
The tape measure arrived yesterday so excellent service from Rebecca's Haberdashery.

I must admit I have never seen anything like this before and it looks so simple - such a good idea.  So thanks again to MarnieSews who first mentioned this many months ago.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 17:33:24 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if a tape measure existed that didn't wear out the numbers after a short while. I am nearly always wearing mine and they wear out real quick.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 18:02:06 PM »
For years and years, I had a tape measure that was canvas (I think) but it started to fray at the edges.  Finally, I had to replace it with retractable 'snail' which is, of course, plastic.

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 05:08:58 AM »
It was always said the fabric tape measures stretched badly but having measured an older plastic/acrylic(?) one against a newer one, so has that.

Does anyone ever check their tape measure against a rigid rule?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »
Now's there a thought.  I saw a warning about buying really cheap tape measures because of inaccuracy.