The Sewing Place

Talking of scissors...

Marniesews

Talking of scissors...
« on: April 07, 2018, 01:18:42 AM »
These are my favourite scissors, simply because they have performed the best of all the pairs I own. Some are remarkably cheap while others are more costly but work so well, I think they're worth it. Sadly neither of the 2 pairs of Fiskars scissors that I own (dressmaking shears and snips) are there but they both became blunt really quickly and reside in the drawer of shame where they'll stay until I get around to having them sharpened at some point. Their sharp edge didn't outlast their first year thus they don't merit any sympathy and they can expect a very long spell in detention.

My best scissors

Perhaps surprisingly the top two dressmaking shears are the cheapest but I've had them for 3 & 4 years respectively in which time they've reliably ploughed their way through mountains of lycra which is what blunted my big Fiskars within a few months. These two still cut right to the tip. The purple handled ones (very cheap on eBay) have serrated blades, the blue ones are titanium coated (Westcott's). I do favour the Westcott's of the two.

The blue snips are Kai's ergonomic design and are comfortable to hold and easy to use. I had some Inspira polished steel snips that became blunt over 2-3 years and looked pretty but were rather slippery with it. The Fiskars snips (no they've not suffered enough in this post yet  :S) tended to twist in my hands, only seemed to cut properly when used from one side and I didn't like their rather thick blades either.

The lime green and blue handles scissor are Karen Kay Buckley Perfect Scissors (what a name  :[ ) but the little ones do come very close to it. The larger ones are fabulous cutters (especially with those lovely pointy tips) but I can't help but wish the handles were offset.

Bottom left are my Ernest Wright duckbills (aka appliqué) scissors. Heaven for trimming & grading seam allowances and cutting close to seams and appliqué too of course.

Bottom right are my 5" SharpEdge Ginghers and they not misnamed! They will tackle all sorts with a smooth and easy cut so if I ever had to pack a mini travel sewing box with only one pair of scissors, they'd be the pair to take.

What about yours - both the friends and foes? The latter might make me a little less spiteful with the Fs in the detention drawer. -<
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lolli

Re: Talking of scissors...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 01:33:13 AM »
What a great post, thank you @Marniesews for sharing. For someone like me who doesn't know a lot about (well anything really!) different scissors, it's very informative.

I have to say, the purple handled dressmaking shears you have, (the cheap ones from eBay) you recommended them to me back on TSF and I've found them to be great. Granted,  I've not done anywhere near the amount of cutting you would have done the last 2 years but even so, they're very sharp right to the tip. I like them!

It's interesting to see the different types of scissors and what you use them for. Great for a learner like me

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:55:19 AM »
Thanks Marnie. Very helpful post for someone about to invest.  8) How do you keep track of them all? I'd need a tool belt.  :ninja: I generally find my shears where my a** was last and I've taken to hanging my tiny scissors round my neck on a ribbon where they irritate the life out of me but at least I know where they are! :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Roger

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 07:38:11 AM »
Nice scissors, I have some ancient Fiskars (from the 90s!) which are really good, id have been tempted to follow the brand with a pair of new ones, but glad I haven’t.

I’ll definitely check Ginghers’.

How do you use the duck bills to get the best out of them?
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 10:36:58 AM »
Thank you Marnie, guess who's just been scissor shopping  :|  Trying some of the Westcott titanium ones  :)  And the Westcott titanium nitride non-stick ones  :)

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »
Very interesting post, thanks for kicking it off, Marnie.

My Fiskars scissors are even older than Roger's! The Wilkinson Sword branded pair are the older of the two, bought in the late 70s. The 'Fiskars'  pair were bought by my mum just a couple of years later, after the name change, and have ended up with me. They're identical. Both pairs still cut well (though I did have 20 or so years' gap in my sewing). I guess there's been a change in quality over the years.

I like the look of the Kai snips. The Ernest Wright pair I got a few years back are very useful and I use them a lot, but they are a very chunky design. They are comfortable in the hand though. here (I thought mine were pricey at the time, but I'm sure I didn't pay £27.50 for them!)

I also have a pair of Fiskars embroidery scissors and a pair of Kai 5" scissors.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »
Really glad this was useful and thank you for the interesting responses too.
I was really surprised to be so disappointed with the Fiskars but lycra does separate the wheat from the chaff. It may be that the old Wilkinson Swords might have found it a challenge too but things were really made to last in those days & most sewing shops would offer sharpening services & most towns had one or more sewing shops!

I do nearly all my sewing in one place @wrenkins & my table has drawers so the ones I use most have migrated there & that seems to work well enough for me… once they're on the table top I can lose them within seconds though!

As for the duckbills @Roger they get the least use but I'm so glad of them when I need them. You only need one careless snip to catch the layer below and your garment may be toast after hours of work!  -<  :'(
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 17:33:16 PM »
I have a pair of Wilkinson Sword shears bought back in the 70's and they are still going.  Nowadays they are used for all sorts, fabric, paper, tape. Fabric shears I use are some Mundial bought about 12 years ago.  I have a newer pair but not a great fan of them. They seem inferior to my older ones.  I have a small pair of Janome curved embroidery scissors, made by Kai, duck billed appliqué scissors by Ghinger and a 5" pair of Janome scissors I use for trimming seams.  Probably my fave scissors are my small embroidery ones I use for snipping threads, cutting buttonholes and any other precise cutting because they are sharp to the point.  These are made by Taylor's of Sheffield.  I don't know if they exist any more. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 18:08:56 PM »
I have a pair of Sheffield made scissors which are about 40 years old. I finally had them sharpened in Leeds market very cheaply a few weeks ago so I expect them to keep going for another 40 years.  :D I have another pair of slightly smaller scissors - I can't remember where I got them - I don't think they were made in Sheffield but I think they've been to Sheffield! Both pairs suit me fine.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 20:23:08 PM »
In the States, the Ginghers are called knife edge tailor points.  I probably have 6 pairs.  I use them for everything.  I am also left handed, so some are left handed and most aren't.  Makes it fun.

I have Ginger's 8" dressmakers in right and left handed, plus serrated edge scissors.  My sinps are Wiss that have replaceable blades I got from Wawak and I have 2 running around.  I also have a box full of Klasse, Marie Osmond branded and whatever other scissors go on sale at Shopper's Rule.  Most work fine, I use them at home or take when I go to classes, teach or whatever so everyone can have a nice pair if they don't have them.

I have several left handed duckbill scissors.  Only thing I have to have a left handed scissor for.

I have weird special scissors, like Mary J's 1/4 quilt scissors, carpet scissors, handful of various brand tailor shears (long and really long).  If they make them I probably have a pair. 

Most of the time, I stick to a basic shear and the 5" Gingher's.  I had a pair of Kai's and on another forum I complained about them.  I won't buy anything else from them, and just ordered a Finny Ketzer to replace them.  Other then the FK customer service being excellent and super helpful to get the right scissor, I can't comment on the scissors proper until next week.

I also have 2 different scissor needs.  My studio is set up for professional use and I am testing brands there.  I find it easier to have mostly one brand so it's easier to replace/fix if there's an issue and it makes it easier to have them sharpened when taking them with one brand.  I can get them back same day with one brand vs. having to come back the next week (the place is 2 hours away) or shipped back (much higher in cost when you are looking at 5+ scissors).  Hence the scissor drama and amount.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 21:22:07 PM »
These are my better scissors.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The oldest are the orange handled Wilkinson Sword shears.  On the handle it says Finland 82 so maybe they are 35 years old, but they cut well and handle all but the very heaviest of fabrics.

The black/blue handle scissors are one of five pairs of Frister Rossman scissors which came as a freebie from SMD when I bought my Elna coverstitcher a couple of years ago.  I didn't expect much of them, gave the other assorted 4 pairs to the DDs and kept these to use and abuse - but they still cut well.  Next to them are the 8" Ernest Wrights; they cut well but are a bit stiff though I prefer them for heavy fabric.  The first pair didn't cut properly  :o but they were replaced immediately and I received the teeny pair beside themas a freebie  0_0  Super for unpicking (I don't get on with seam rippers).

The pink DMC and the gold Ernest Wright embroidery scissors are the best of maybe 8 or 10 pairs of embroidery scissors which are lying around the house in various states of bluntness.  Last but not least are Klassé duckbills
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

elephun

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 22:00:25 PM »
These are my favorites:

I like Kai branded scissors because they are lightweight, they cut smoothly, and I don't strain my hand when I use them. Most notably, I like my plain black 10" professional pair the best for cutting fabric, my berry-colored 9" bent handled pair best for cutting patterns, and I enjoy my berry-colored 5.5" Kai embroidery scissors for notching, snipping, and trimming.

My Gingher duckbill's are good for very close trimming. They were too tight and hurt my hand for a few years. My husband was eventually able to loosen them enough for me to use them without sacrificing their precision much. They are beautifully sharp. I'd want to be able to test this brand of shears to make sure it didn't hurt my hand before buying again.

My thread snips are cheapies from Daiso. I like them so much I have 3 or 4 pair! Only one pair made it to the photo, of course  ;)

As to Fiskars being in the detention drawer:
I generally like the standard 8" Fiskars; they seem to last a long time and can be easily sharpened. I finally got rid of all subpar or otherwise annoying Fiskars (scallop shears, pinkers, the snips Marnie has, a couple other snips).

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 00:07:01 AM by elephun »

elephun

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 22:28:29 PM »

Most of the time, I stick to a basic shear and the 5" Gingher's.  I had a pair of Kai's and on another forum I complained about them.  I won't buy anything else from them, and just ordered a Finny Ketzer to replace them.  Other then the FK customer service being excellent and super helpful to get the right scissor, I can't comment on the scissors proper until next week.

Do tell about the Kretzer Finny when you get them. 

Marniesews

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 16:00:22 PM »
Never come across Kretzer Finny before now so I looked them up. They've a very distinctive handle design so I'll know what they are when I see them next.

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 16:23:23 PM »
I have a pair of Mundial serrated shears and some Mundial pinking shears, both are true left handed shears (blades on the opposite sides from right handed ones) and they are both lovely to use.  I don't know whether they're even available any more - I must have had them for at least 30 years (bought from John Lewis in Oxford Street when it had a decent haberdashery, not the poor selection it has now).  I did wonder about trying to replace the serrated shears as I don't think they cut as well as they did, and I'm not sure sharpening them is an option.

I have loads of scissors!  Especially the Kai embroidery ones which although are not left handed I can manage to use.  They seem to get blunt very quickly so I replace them quite often.  I also have a couple of pairs of duck billed ones, not sure of the make but I bought them at Hampton Court at the Royal School of Needlework, they are quite small but again I can use them despite being left handed.

For major cutting out I use my rotary cutters though.  I wouldn't be without them now, they save my hands from seizing up, and I'm 100% more accurate cutting along straight lines with them.  I have three sizes from small to large and use them all.  Much better for the cack handed like me :)  especially as most scissors and shears are not available in left handed sizes.